Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

How can I get government assisted child care?

I am a single mom with 2 kids and I live at home with a mentally unstable mother that watches my kids while I'm at work and in class. I'm a server and dont make a lot of money so I need some kind of assistance with daycare expenses so I might be able to save up and get out of the unstable environment for my children.

Answer Question

Asked by rebel.mama at 10:46 AM on Aug. 30, 2010 in Money & Work

Level 5 (81 Credits)
Answers (6)
  • I think you apply for that at the same place as food stamps and that type of assistance.

    Answer by m-avi at 10:47 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

  • Why aren't you getting child support? Contact your local Social Services offices about the daycare issue.

    Answer by butterflyblue19 at 10:48 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

  • The government websites (.gov) of your town and state should have information on government daycare assistance.


    Answer by IhartU at 10:49 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

  • You have to go through DHHR in your area. They will refer you to the place that does it.

    Answer by babyfat5 at 10:49 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

  • Here where I live in CA it's called CCRC. Child Care Resource Center. You contact them and fill out a ton of paperwork. Provide proof of hours, wages, etc. I was on CCRC for a couple of years and it was a lifesaver! I bet your local welfare agency would know the proper name and phone number of the CCRC type place in your area.

    Answer by Orionsgirl at 10:51 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

  • Call the YWCA in your area they cover child care for working moms and it is easy to apply. I used it back when my schedule required childcare. Now I am lucky enough to not need it anymore. You end up with a copay but it is usually small.

    Answer by Yozhick at 11:55 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.