How can i get my son to sleep through the night?

We've been living with my parents while my husband was in Iraq, he's home now and we are moving to be with him. Though while we've been here i've been in the same room as my son (now just turned 1 yr old!) He doesn't sleep through the entire night, and i usually rock him back to sleep if he wakes before midnight, but after that i'm just so exhausted that i just put him in bed with me to get some sleep. When we move he will have his own room... he's never put himself to sleep, i've always rocked him... and i'm not sure how to get him to sleep through the night alone. Any suggestions?

Mom-o-AJ

Asked by Mom-o-AJ at 10:51 AM on Aug. 30, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• You can't. Just kidding. I rocked mine too....but if you start now you may still have a chance. Try patting him while in his crib rather than picking him up. Taking just a little bit longer to go to him to see if he will soothe himself back to sleep. When you rock him do not wait until he is completely asleep. If you rock him to sleep completely..then put him in the crib...if he wakes up and sees that he is somewhere else other than where he was when he fell asleep, it will wake him up more because he is looking around trying to see where he actually is and he will cry for you.
    Momforhealth

Answer by Momforhealth at 10:58 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

• melatonin. You can find it at walmart in the vitamin section Usually it comes in 3mg but I would cut that in half for kid that young. It is naturally occurring in the body. This just adds a little more making the child sleepy. It has worked wonders for my sil.
    babyfat5

Answer by babyfat5 at 10:58 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

• time and patience. i rocked my dd too...i started out by putting my dd in her crib and laying on the floor with my hand in the crib to comfort her. And pretending i was asleep! she eventually lid down and went to sleep too when she thought i was asleep. then i would sneak out of her room; i did that for a couple nights, then i sat up beside her crib letting her know i was there, and she eventually fell asleep, then each night i would slowly move a bit closer to the door and then one night i decided to just lay her in her crib with her sippy of milk, and came out and close the door, she drank her milk and went to sleep, no crying or anything..it was awesome.
    It also helps to have a little lullaby music playing!
    Good luck!
    mommylisar

Answer by mommylisar at 11:04 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

• wow, i co sleep with both of mine and i am wanting to get my oldest outa the bed soon, so ill need help here with this to! but please dont give your child anything to make them sleepy that just doesnt seem right. try instead of rocking, slowly wean the rocking to a butt pat or back rub untill he goes to sleep that and what the PP wrote seems gret!
    xotatiannaxo

Answer by xotatiannaxo at 11:14 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

• He's still very young and may need help going to sleep for quite a while. You can try other methods to help him to sleep and slowly reduce the time you spend doing it... but that's no guarantee. He may just not be ready until 2, 3 or later (and that's completely normal!). My older son is 4 and just started putting himself to sleep and sleeping through the WHOLE night this year... he still needs someone to sit with him while he goes to sleep, but he's out in minutes!

There's no way to MAKE him sleep through the night, even if he puts himself to sleep, he will probably still wake up. Very, very normal and it can happen for years. You can choose to put him back to sleep in his crib everytime, or co-sleep after he wakes. We usually put our 17 mo old back in his own bed until after we're in bed and the next time he wakes he comes to bed with us. Did the same thing with the older one. They outgrow the need eventually.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 11:21 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

• i was cosleeping with my daughter till she was a year old(she was still night nurcing to), the time came were i wanted her to sleep in her own crib(so i could get some sleep), I did the whole cry it out thing, thinking it would be harder then heck. It took only a few days of crying it out in the crib, I think it was harder on me then her, lol but after a rough few days, she started to sleep threw the night no problem at all, and it was wonderful. I started out with the crib in my room, and a few weeks later she moved to her own room, and she sleeps much better bein in her own bed!!! now she is 18 months and is getting use to the toddler bed, and she loves the toddler bed. The thing is about doing it the way i did, you really have to stick to your guns, and think of the benifits. because I am not gonna lie the first few days were not fun :) but now we both sleep threw the night. Good luck on what ever you descide to do :)
    ashcrash

Answer by ashcrash at 12:07 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• i never had much of an issue but when my DS was 9 mo he was getting up @ 4 AM for the day. As much as I HATED the CIO method it totally worked!!
    coolchic320

Answer by coolchic320 at 1:16 PM on Aug. 30, 2010