Do you let your toddler out in the kitchen?

I have a gate going across my kitchen/living room wall so my dd who is 21 months can't go out there. I do not feel that she is safe yet when she is out there and i would rather be safe then sorry. (everything is baby proof out there).
My friend thinks that i am foolish for not letting her play in the kitchen, i told my friend why should i let my dd play in the kitchen, she has her room and the living room to play in and i feel safer when she is not out there!My friend on the other hand lets her kid's do what they want and thinks i should be the same way!
What do you think? should i be letting her play in the kitchen?

mommylisar

Asked by mommylisar at 10:59 AM on Aug. 30, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I have my kitchen gated off and my stairs.I didnt wanna be that parent who said they will learn and just not do it..RIIIIGHT because that went so when when i saw a friends 2 year old get into the knives and dog food...I keep knives in the kitchen..I have a gas stove..So I have a gate.They can play in the kitchen when im in the kitchen.I used to have gates at the bottom but not that they can play and run around I only gate the top at night.I also have door knob covers.I used to think baby proofing was silly but I rather be silly then a mother with no children because I was selfish to child proof a few simple things.
    ryanlynn

Answer by ryanlynn at 11:06 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

• i let my son play in the kitchen ... he loves to open the cabinets and pull all the pots an pans out and play with them. i just keep all my chemical cleaning products up high where he cant reach, and obviously there no knives or anyting he can get to either.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 11:00 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

• I let my sons play in the kitchen. They love to play with the Tupperware bowls. I just have to make sure they stay out of the fridge though.
    Tab2

Answer by Tab2 at 11:02 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

• I gave my daughter a cabinet filled with things she can play with. I started letting her "help" me in the kitchen when she was 2, she could help turn on the mixer or help stir things.
    Mommy2Gabrielle

Answer by Mommy2Gabrielle at 11:04 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

• no, I don't let my kids play in the kitchen unless I'm in there. I did have a baby gate up until recently, they are 3 & 4. They had their own toys, I did not see why they should play with my pots, pans, and plastic stuff and me just having to rewash them before using them, sorry I'm not cooking in a pot that was on the floor and little hands all in it.

My kids have a bedroom to play in. The kitchen is for cooking and eating.
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 11:07 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

• I let my son play in the kitchen... although not when anyone is cooking on the stove- he LOVES to help and stir when we are mixing foods or getting things ready - he loved playing with the tupperware cabinet also when he was younger... I am very careful where I let my son play and have locks on 2 cabinets in the house but it is his house too and he is always watched and never playing in a room without me so I don't have a problem having him go anywhere he wants..
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 11:08 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

• I couldn't gate off my kitchen if I wanted to! There are two entrances and one is just huge opening up to the family room. Besides that, messing with baby gates all the time would be a PITA! The kids have a tupperware cupbord that they play in, but I draw the line at the pots and pans because I have a nice set now (with my first he always played with those as well, an older set...). It's good for them to explore, IMO. All the glass and knives are kept above countertop level and when I'm cooking I shoo them all out. That's my one rule "no kids underfoot when I'm cooking"....
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 11:15 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

• I used to block off the kitchen, but we dont anymore. My son (28 months old) does just fine! He understands "hot" and listens well when we tell him not to touch something. We also have a bottom cabinet just for him. If he wants to play, he can play in there. We have storage bins w/ old pots and pans, spoons, old sippy cups and cookie cutters. He also likes helping me close the dishwasher and sweep the floor. Anything we dont want him to touch is out of his reach.
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 11:10 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

• My little ones are 7 now, but when they were small I only had a gate blocking the stairs to the basement. They had free rome of the house, even the kitchen. If you take the precautions, then everything should be fine. In the kitchen the knives are in a high cabinet, I have always had them like that from how my mom had her kitchen set up. But she ran a day care out of her house and her house would be inspected by the state to make sure it was up to code for having a center, so I am pretty aware of how well you should baby proof the house. (On a side note, I don't move any of my decorations or plants that I have on tables they could reach, I teach them not to touch those things).
    sheloveearth

Answer by sheloveearth at 11:12 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

• I do...he has the leap frog barn and car wash and letter set on the fridge he sits and plays in front of it while I'm in there...today my toddler helped me bake cupcakes in the kitchen...he loved it
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 11:20 AM on Aug. 30, 2010