my son is to picky when it comes to eating?

All he wants to eat is pizza maccaronni and cheese, cereal, cup of soup, mc donals happy meals

beautiful2257

Asked by beautiful2257 at 10:33 PM on Oct. 10, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Don't give him choices. Make him eat what you cook. He will fight it at first and probably throw fits, but when he gets hungry enough, he will eat it. Try giving fruit with cheese like the mickey mouse shaped cheese. My daughters fav snack with the mickey cheese with grapes. Try different ways to give him what he needs in the way that he likes it. Make a chicken pizza or search for kids recipes that he can help you make. If he helps make it, hes more inclined to eat it. My daughter loves to help me cook and she gets enjoyment out of eating what she cooks. If you stick to it, he will learn. Maybe tell him that if he does good and listens well, then you can treat him to a happy meal once a week. Theres no harm in that. Good luck. Hope something I said helped.
    Anonymous

• Don't stress. Substitute with a multi-vitamin if you need to. Being a picky eater is more genetic than obstinate. The survival of a species depends upon the young being picky eaters. The young who experiment a lot are the young that do not live to reproduce. When I learned that it is not personal and does not reflect upon my parenting, I stopped taking it personally. Eat a healthy meal, let your child see that you are enjoying healthy choices. Provide a taste for him, if he wants it. They will also be interested in what other kids have in lunchboxes at school/preschool/the park. Don't sweat it if he doesn't eat. Kids go through food fashions. Mine did the chicken nuggets phase, the macaroni phase, the pizza phase, the ham and cheese sandwich phase. Right now they are in transition, and I don't know what they will pick up next.

LeftBrainy

Answer by LeftBrainy at 11:12 PM on Oct. 10, 2008

• Thay's okay my son will not eat anything I cook!!
    GFXMommy

Answer by GFXMommy at 1:53 AM on Oct. 11, 2008

• When it comes to eating my DD has NO choices. She eats what i make or she will go hungry till next meal (lunch dinner or Breakfast lolyou get the idea). She has learned very fast not to be picky. And i let her help me in the kitchen when i cook. That helps a lot too. She can see and help with the meal and she knows what is going in to the food oh and make it fun.

Christine113

Answer by Christine113 at 6:26 AM on Oct. 11, 2008

• Don't give him a choice, if my kids complain I tell them this isn't Burger king, you don't get it your way.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 7:27 AM on Oct. 11, 2008

• Answered at 1:27 PM on Oct. 11, 2008 by: sammiesmom2000
    Don't give him a choice, if my kids complain I tell them this isn't Burger king, you don't get it your way.

LOL thats funny!
    Christine113

Answer by Christine113 at 7:50 AM on Oct. 11, 2008

• A doctor that I once went to about my picky eater (all he wanted was hamburgers, french fries, chicken nuggets, and pizza) told me that naturally when a child is hungry he will eat. He told me that I should cook one thing for the whole entire family, and not indulge him with only the things that he likes to eat. After a few days of not eating, he will get hungry and eat what you feed him. (I know it sounds horrible, but trust me, it works) Good luck!
    mommybush

Answer by mommybush at 5:42 PM on Oct. 11, 2008

• I make them take 2 bites for every year old they are, so 3 yrs old = 6 bites, of what ever they tell me that they don't like on their plates. Then if they still don't like it then they can have a bologna sandwich. It is very rare that I do have to make a bologna sandwich though, most of the time they decide that they like it after the second or third bite.
    MarshaB702

Answer by MarshaB702 at 5:59 PM on Oct. 11, 2008

• all you can do is offer food, you can't make him eat. part of the problem with picky eating and young children is they have more taste buds than adults so they really have a bit of an excuse
    RosaMae

Answer by RosaMae at 9:49 PM on Oct. 12, 2008

• SImilar to the previous posts, children tend to have stronger taste buds than adults. it is a legitimate reason for them to have a limited menu at that particular age. One thing I can advise you to do is talk simply to your child about the food pyramid and why eating fruits, vegetables and proteins are beneficial to his health. I also agree that you should be more creative when it comes to preparing meals.

Moreover, you might want to check out this wonderful website called Nogginpower2. What I discovered on Nogginpower2 is that they have a ton of readings that could help you with your current situation. They include, DIscipline, Getting Great Grades, Making New friends and Improving Social Skills. Best of luck to you and your child.
    paulacolls19715

Answer by paulacolls19715 at 10:22 AM on Oct. 13, 2008