• In the Spotlight:

How long after drinking can I nurse my baby?

I'm a breast feeding mom, and was wondering if I pumped breast milk before drinking alcohol how long until it was acceptable to feed the baby again? And what would happen if I nursed too soon?

Thank you in Advance!

KaileyRoo

Asked by KaileyRoo at 10:33 PM on Oct. 10, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• There are these cool things they sell at Babies-R-Us called Milk Screen...you put your milk on the test strip and it tells you if the alcohol content is too much to nurse. The rule really is that when alcohol leaves your body, it leaves. When your BAC is normal, your milk is safe. They say 2 hours per drink you have. Nursing with a very high BAC can lead to slower development, if you do it all the time
    AidensMommy608

Answer by AidensMommy608 at 10:40 PM on Oct. 10, 2008

• 1 hour per serving of alcohol. you don't need to pump and dump, your body will metabolize the alcohol right out of the milk. unless you are ging to pop and it's been less than an hour of course dump it, but if its over an hour you are good to go.
    teri4lance

Answer by teri4lance at 10:49 PM on Oct. 10, 2008

• Yay! My Friday night isn't ruined!! :D Thanks girls.
    KaileyRoo

Answer by KaileyRoo at 10:52 PM on Oct. 10, 2008

• Your a BF mother why the hell would you want to drink and risk the fact your child may get alcohol from you? Think about your child and don't drink til their weined. don't be selfish.
    Anonymous

• i think its a couple of hours, and if you nursed, it would only give a residue effect to baby, like if baby was given tylenol. My dr told me that, so i was ok with it, granted, i havent had a drink since the night he was conceived LOL was a big party and then back to work... three weeks later... lol boy what a shocker
    sweetscrappin

Answer by sweetscrappin at 11:35 PM on Oct. 10, 2008

• she not being selfish she wants to have fun let her your being stupid and an old azz ladie anonymous person you need to stop talking your shit because you can be doing the same shit but we just dont know if you being miss perfect then dont hide you
    emomama22

Answer by emomama22 at 1:23 AM on Oct. 11, 2008

• If you can drive, you can nurse.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:56 AM on Oct. 11, 2008

• If you can drive, you can nurse.

If you have a younger baby, the baby would probably just get sleepy. If you have an older baby you probably wouldn't see any effect at all unless you were seriously sloshed and nursed just before puking.
    Gruntlings

Answer by Gruntlings at 3:03 AM on Oct. 11, 2008

• Thank you emomama. And it is so that I can still have fun. I never drank during pregnancy or before my pregnancy. And we also keep formula on hand in case he needs more than I could pump.
    KaileyRoo

Answer by KaileyRoo at 6:18 PM on Oct. 15, 2008