A question for those who practice the Craft

I recently reconnected with an old friend. We stumbled into the conversation of spirituality and discovered we are both pagans who practice the Craft. She said- "I wish I could practice black magick, there are so many people I want to curse but its against the code. I really wish it wasn't though, cause I'd do it. My coven leader said that even though I can't practice black magick I can bring those people to the Lord and Lady's intention and have them deal with it because they are very powerfulf."

This bothers me. A lot. I feel that she doesn't really "get" what it's all about. (Based off that and other things she said.) Is this something that I should concern myself with? I will definately not engage in practice with her. I feel she would taint the energies and the intentions. I couldn't trust her. But should I even remain friends with her--knowing the kind of person she really is is not a good one?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:13 AM on Aug. 30, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• How new is she? Honestly, to me, that's what it sounds like, like she's still rather new. She doesn't seem to be very educated about the path she choose - at least from that statement... But it COULD BE the coven she's in as well. That's one of many reasons I'm not a big big fan of covens... While some are going to be a good influence, some are not. Although I kinda get what her's was saying about just let the Gods deal with them. It seems like her focus is off, but again, that could be because she's new - I would find out how long she's been on this path before I started to worry.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:35 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

• Sabrina's right she does sound new. But perhaps you could be a good influence on her.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 11:46 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

• Many young people thing that witchcraft is cool only because they think that it's about doing what you want, like cursing people who are snotty to you and doing beauty spells and love spells and such. They don't really understand the control that it takes. Nor do they understand the karmic repercussions of cursing or casting spells on people on a whim. I have practiced grey magick, which is protective stuff and even THAT I don't perform lightly. The decision to cast a dark spell, or black magick, should only be done as an act of desperation, or last resort. If she feels the need to vent her anger against people that she feels have wronged her, she would be better off in performing a justice spell. As you say, this brings the justice of the lord and lady or the universal energy to bear. She doesn't seem to understand, just yet, that magick is not a toy. It is serious business. And to make life better, not worse.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 12:41 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• I would have a hard time being friends with some one who uses thier faith to get even. Since she practises the craft she should know all about Karma and the three-fold pay back.
    mamak57

Answer by mamak57 at 1:01 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• I find this pretty disturbing. Paganism is such a peaceful religion! I think its smart of you not to practive with her. Filled with that much nagativity, I wouldn't even let her touch my books and tools. Be careful, but I agree that maybe you could be a good influence on her. If she keeps talking like that, I would steer clear of her. Good luck!
    GingerMom33

Answer by GingerMom33 at 1:16 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• Sabrina the Witch? Really? ;) lol too cool...
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 1:54 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• Sounds like she's got a lot of anger she hasn't learned to deal with. Newbie or not, she has issues that are coloring her religious experience. I think her coven gave her good advice but may not have gone far enough to address her anger issues. At least the reinforced the the 'harm none' mandate.

But I have a problem with the idea of 'disfellowship.' It is what you are asking, to not be freinds, to shun her, not to practice with her. Why take this course of action first? I'd confront her, talk to her and explain the way I feel on this issue. I'd inform her of my misgivings about practive with her. I'd let her know how I feel. But to shun her without doing all of that, I can not accept. It smacks too much of living from a position of fear.

No one is perfectly good. We are all works in progress. There is nothing to say that your freindship wouldn't improve her, help her deal with her anger. But to abandon her...sigh.....
    isabellalecour

Answer by isabellalecour at 2:00 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• She sounds to me like a New New Newbie fallen prey to Hollywood...or a FluffyBunny in it just for the Power.
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 3:31 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• Zoey - I was a Witch BEFORE Sabrina was!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 5:14 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• LOL.... Sabrina...so funny! I think this friend is misguided and misinformed. The Craft to me is this very solitary peaceful thing, I can't imagine having that attitude toward it. The many, many books I have studied and read have never even put those types of intentions in my head. It is almost as if she has been sucked in the stereotypical mold of how non-believers think of us. Not Good!
    WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 7:32 PM on Aug. 30, 2010