Was he wrong?

My SO and I have lived together for a year now. He is not my 4 yr old DD's bio dad, but he is the father figure in her life and plays the roll. My DD is really sick today and the daycare wouldn't take her. I can't miss work because there is nobody to cover me, so I brought her with me. She is laying down in a spare office watching a movie. My SO has class until noon and then is free until 6 when he goes to work. When he dropped us off, I asked him to call me after his class becaue if my boss gets to upset, I may need him to take my DD until I get off work at 5. He then said "I have to work tonight, I don't feel like babysitting all day". Really? We've NEVER referred to him watching her as babysitting and he's probably only done it 5 times since we lived together. I was a little irritated that he thinks and said that. Should I be? We act and live as a family.

allfiller

Asked by allfiller at 11:19 AM on Aug. 30, 2010 in Relationships

• I would be irritated. When you have children you are a package deal....
    Mommy2Gabrielle

Answer by Mommy2Gabrielle at 11:21 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

• This is a great example of why "living and acting as a family" may not work - he clearly does not feel any responsibility for her care or responsibility to you, to help you out.
    Gaccck

Answer by Gaccck at 11:21 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

• I agree with the PP.
    Tab2

Answer by Tab2 at 11:21 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

• THAT is not acting as a family. Sorry, He is in the wrong here. It's not playing house.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 11:21 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

• I would be irritated too. He should have stepped up to the plate. He apparently feels that he is not obligated. I hope your daughter feels better soon, poor little one.

Answer by Bmat at 11:21 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

• He's an ass, but he's not wrong. He's not your husband, he's not her stepfather, he's not her father, and he has no responsibility to your family.
    missingruth

Answer by missingruth at 11:24 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

• Sorry, but I think he just told you he does not feel like family. This is why we do not move in with someone tell you have a ring on your finger.

He will not make a good father figure if he thinks like this. It is time for you to think about the relationship.

gammie

Answer by gammie at 11:24 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

• is it possible that he just slipped up and said it wrong? Like I said, this has never really happened before. Or do you think this is just how he feels?
    allfiller

Comment by allfiller (original poster) at 11:29 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

• read the posts we all feel the same way about him. He is telling you how he feels.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 11:32 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

• Oh, it's how he feels. And it's how he's acting. He's showing you what's real. He might come up with all kinds of words later to try to excuse his behavior, but what he just showed you? That's what's real.
    caseyandkids

Answer by caseyandkids at 11:32 AM on Aug. 30, 2010