For my homeschooling moms.....

Just another reason to keep your child away from public school which I am very strong on.... I live here in Texas and was watching the news last week and seen a story where a man walked into an elementary school and picked up a 5 yr old child which was allowed by a teacher ( has already been investagated) and this child did not know who this person was. The man took off in his van with the child and soon the teacher realized she had made a mistake. This child was truely in the lords hands that day because he was returned safely after the cops spotted the mans van outside of his home. He was taken into custody on other warrents he had out but it was said that he accidently picked up the wrong child. Sounds a little fishy to me but the point Im trying to make is that it makes me sick to know that anyone can just come in the your childs school and take them. Very seriouse stuff. Not many children are found after they go missing.

LANDENSMOMMYlmk

Asked by LANDENSMOMMYlmk at 11:30 AM on Aug. 30, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• That was one of the reasons I wanted to homeschool my daughter.
    Now she's in an excellent private school with lots of security but I have realized a child can go missing either from public school or their own house. Don't forget the whole Madelein McCann story. That kid disappeared from her own home.
    mygirlpaige

Answer by mygirlpaige at 11:39 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

• That is true if they are not being watched. My children are never allowed outside without me, we dont live in that kind of world any more where they can run free sad but true. My children are much safer being in my hands where its one against two VS. one against 25. So unless someone breaks into my home and prys my children out of my hands the they will be safe under my watch.
    LANDENSMOMMYlmk

Comment by LANDENSMOMMYlmk (original poster) at 11:47 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

• "I seen a story" is not correct English. I know this is the internet, but still. The correct usage is "I saw..."
    LoveMyDog

Answer by LoveMyDog at 11:48 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

• Lol Im sorry I saw, is that better? Let me know if you find anything else you would like to correct me on and I would be glad to fix it :)
    LANDENSMOMMYlmk

Comment by LANDENSMOMMYlmk (original poster) at 11:51 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

• it was the school and teachers fault. not anyone elses.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 11:52 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

• I see your point but I don't think anyone just goes to a school and kidnaps and random child.. Anyway, I don't know. All I know is you can't possibly be with your children 24/7. You need to teach them not to talk to straingers, not to be out by themselves etc.. School kids, homeschooled kids.. doesn't matter, I believe they're all in the same danger nowadays..
    mygirlpaige

Answer by mygirlpaige at 11:53 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

• I'm a certified teacher in Texas and taught in public school. Because of the things I saw while teaching, we now have tightened up our belts and made sacrifices so that we can put our children in private school.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 1:13 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• Of course you still teach your children not to talk to strangers, I totally agree! Overall I am the parent and its my duty to m,ake sure my children our safe. I do not feal comfortable having one teacher watch 25 plus kids expecially that young and regarding the teacher that mistakenly allowed that man to walk out with the 5 yr little boy could have costed him his life. So thats a chance Im just not willing to take.
    LANDENSMOMMYlmk

Comment by LANDENSMOMMYlmk (original poster) at 1:37 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• I think it's unfair to assume what is true of one or some public schools is true of them all.

The school my children go to is kept locked during the day - you can get out, but you can't get in without pass key. Teachers do not release students from the classroom. They must be signed out at the office. You can't just walk into the office. you must press the intercom button to be buzzed into the building and are then greeted by the office staff. You sign your child out. They only release students to adults on the authorization card provided by parents or if the parent sends in a note saying "today my sister will be picking up Johnny..." Even when we're in for a class party, the teacher will not release the student to the parent. You still need to go back to the office and sign him or her out. They then call the teacher and have the child come down to you.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 2:45 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• Yes every school is different but unfortunatly not all schools opperate the same which then puts our children at risk. And I am not assuming anything but rather stating the facts. Im sure that the dallas school district has certain protacall they follow but this was really bad judjment on a teacher.
    LANDENSMOMMYlmk

Comment by LANDENSMOMMYlmk (original poster) at 4:06 PM on Aug. 30, 2010