Taming the snot monster

Benedryl doesn't seem to be able to tame the snot monster that has invaded our house. My 2.5 yo dd has a really runny nose and some eye watering. We've always used Benedryl in the past, but it doesn't seem to be helping this time. Dr. said we could try either Zyrtek or Claritin. Does one work better than the other? What are the noticible side effect (if any) of each? Do you have a real preference for either and why?

Thanks ladies!

DEpley

Asked by DEpley at 11:36 AM on Aug. 30, 2010 in Kids' Health

• I started her on Claritin. It started working within 24 hours. Less snot, less coughing. I haven't noticed any side effects and I give it 1st thing in the morning so if it makes her hyper, it's wore off by the time bed comes
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 11:39 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

• Claritin is good. Zyrtec makes my son drowsy.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 11:39 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

• This is what we do- and it works!

Bulb syringe- I know you still have one. USE IT! Then follow with warm saline (salt water) through a Netti Pot. Yes you can teach a child that young to use one. Afterward, use "Little Noses" decongestant drops. They go straight to the source of the problem rather than having to travel through the entire circulatory system first.

The reason for using the Netti Pot is to get rid of the allergens which are causing the reaction. If you use a decongestant and do nothing else, you trap them there, drying them out in the sinuses and pave the way for a sinus infection.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 11:41 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

• We are using our syringe, but we just can't keep up with the amount. I love the idea of a Neti Pot (I use one myself, so I definitely know the benefits) but I can't imagine getting this child to hold still for that. I love what it does for me, but I don't even like the feeling of using it. How do you get a child that young to do it?
    DEpley

Comment by DEpley (original poster) at 11:45 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

• we use simply saline type nasal spray for the girls... cleans out their sinuses... and then the runny nose homeopathic remedy in the hylands kids kit... works like a charm!
    asil

Answer by asil at 9:32 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• Thanks for all the advice, ladies.
    DEpley

Comment by DEpley (original poster) at 11:33 PM on Aug. 30, 2010