Two New York lawmakers want farmers to vaccinate their chickens against salmonella. Will this make Americans feel safe?

I personally object. I loathe the idea of my food, and my family's food, being injected with anything. IMO, the poultry farms simply need to be inspected and cleaned. The article states that some farms haven't been inspected in decades!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ynewspoint/ynewspoint_ts3507

kenzie07

Asked by kenzie07 at 11:38 AM on Aug. 30, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I think that is disgusting honestly. I don't want to eat something that has been injected with God only knows what.
    fallnangel93

Answer by fallnangel93 at 11:39 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

• I agree with you.
    Iluvmy5

Answer by Iluvmy5 at 11:39 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

• I agree, with they need to be inspected more often and fined heavily. They aren't disinfecting properly. People should also cook their eggs properly.

We choose to eat organic.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:41 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

• They already put enough crap in chickens which is why we only buy from certain places i refuse to put it in my body. I would be peeved it they added more.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 11:43 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

• I agree. Sure lets put MORE crap in our food. Back in the day, they didn't use anything on their crops or their livestock. Wonder how they lived as long as they did. How about they just make sure the place is clean? It's more work, but I bet it is cheaper and it's absolutely safer and healthier.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 11:43 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

• If I could see how the vaccinations were given and when, I could give a better answer
    Typically, hatcheries will vaccinate the chicks when they are about 2 days old. These older hens however are given hormones to constantly produce eggs, a free range natural chicken will go through moltings where they do not lay for about 6-8 months. So, in reality you are already getting chemicals from all sources anything related to poultry. Salmonella is everywhere, horses even carry it in their hair do I have to vaccinate my horse if I produce eggs? Dogs carry the bacterium also.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 11:46 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

• When a chicken lays an egg, the egg is naturally covered in an antibiotic type enzyme that keeps the eggs "cleaner". The first thing these producers do is wash the eggs. Thus leaving the egg open to bacterial growth. Eggs shouldn't be washed at all until just before you eat them.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 11:48 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

• What would make our food safer is to outlaw corporate farms. Put limits on how many animals per square footage. Feed them foods that God intended that they eat.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 11:54 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

• Because with NOTHING else to concern themselves with...two New York lawmakers decide to propose vaccinating chickens!! *sigh* LOL

What I don;t understand is WHY is it such a foreign concept to at least rinse raw meat/poultry AND your hands before AND after handling?! I grew up in a time when leaving frozen packaged meat and poultry in the sun on the kitchen counter ALL DAY to thaw before cooking was accepted practice!! Why didn't anyone I know end up with salmonella?! Maybe because we cooked said food thoroughly?!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 12:03 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• I think the feed suppliers needs to be watched more than they are, that is where the salmonella is coming from. I do not want them to pass this law at all. I agree with Motherofhope98........

zbee

Answer by zbee at 12:03 PM on Aug. 30, 2010