help I cant take it anymore. Why does she do this?

My DD 2.5 will do something then my 5 year old DD will follow her knowing it is wrong. Like a little bit ago. We have 2 couches in our living room almost side by side my 2.5 year old likes to jump from one arm of the couch to the other so I told her to get off the couch like that and then my 5 year old jumps on the couch right after I told her sister not to do it. She always follows what her 2 year old sister does when she knows it is wrong why does she do this? I will tell her sister not to do something then the 5 year old does it right after I say to stop.

mommy5409

Asked by mommy5409 at 11:40 AM on Aug. 30, 2010 in General Parenting

• My kids do that all the time. I think its just kids being kids. Of course I explain to them its not ok and that they need to mind me when I just got done telling the younger one not to do it. don't stress to much about it. it is normal.
    motherwanting6

Answer by motherwanting6 at 11:43 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

• That's weird. Usually it the little one following the big one! looks like the 5 yr old is looking for attention,even if its negative attention.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 11:45 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

• Because of the attention, thats all it is. Even though its negative attention your youngest is getting, shes still getting some. Your oldest wants to you look at her too, so to speak. Even though she knows its wrong, she wants that attention. If you dont already have one on One time with your oldest, make some. Hopefully that can help the problem..... If you do already, keep talking to her, or make her punishment bigger then the youngest child's. Maybe she'll catch on, if you make your youngest get off the sofa, & your oldest does it make your oldest go to time out, & not allow her on the sofa....

lilmoosesmom

Answer by lilmoosesmom at 11:46 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

• Not only is it the attention thing- it's the "does that rule apply to me too?" thing!
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 11:47 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

• DS2 (2.5) bangs on the dinner table... DS1 (7) follows suit. I finally told DS1 - "You know better. You need to set a good example for your brothers so they can grow up to be good big boys like you." Now he is starting to "parent" his brothers (ages 2.5 and 1.5) "No, don't do that, mommy doesn't like that, etc etc etc"

He's such a little man...
    MunchiesMom324

Answer by MunchiesMom324 at 12:03 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• She is doing it because she wants the attention her little sister gets when she does something wrong. Try setting aside some special big girl time just for her and get someone else to watch the 2.5 year old. It doesn't have to be anything you pay for but it should be time for just the two of you.
    Yozhick

Answer by Yozhick at 11:49 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

• I think most kids do that, it will pass but, I know it's frustrating for you.....good luck
    zbee

Answer by zbee at 11:56 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

• So you'll talk to her too.
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 12:31 PM on Aug. 30, 2010