Is it irresponsible to hire a midwife for prenatal care and deliever at home and not have tradional health insurance? If something went wrong and you had to be admitted to the hospital, you would be uninsured.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:40 AM on Aug. 30, 2010 in Pregnancy

• If you look at the statistics for healthy, uncomplicated births with midwives, and the MINUSCULE rate of hospital transfers, you would have posed the question.
    MWs job is to trouble shoot in ways that physicians do not, any "high risk" care required is referred to a physician before the birth occurs.

Why do people function under the misconception that MWs are a rogue breed who are in some way adding to the problem? Their sole purpose is to help prevent anything bad from happening, and they do a god damned good job at it.

Go TROLL elsewhere.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 11:45 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

• I would be too afraid to take that chance.
    Iluvmy5

Answer by Iluvmy5 at 11:42 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

• Using a midwife and delivering at home is NOT irresponsible. I wish I would have had the option, but we don't have any midwives around my area that deliver at home.

The only irresponsible part would be the fact that you don't have traditional health insurance. (What is non traditional health insurance?)
    Courtney610

Answer by Courtney610 at 11:48 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

• my ultimate goal is to have a homebirth unassissted with a midwife around the corner just in case
    mmtosam06

Answer by mmtosam06 at 11:50 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

• If something happened, then they would have to be treated and then they would be billed for it. As long as they are willing to take that chance and pay those bills if it happens, I don't think that is irresponsible.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 11:43 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

• Make payments for the hospital bill, I guess...hopefully nothing would go wrong. Maybe an inexpensive limited policy bought for baby before birth would be good. Aetna sometimes has policies for around 50 dollars per month.
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 11:53 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

• Again, Gertie is off her rocker... Look at FACTS woman. The FACTS state that it is not only healthier for the mother, but SIGNIFICANTLY LESS RISKY FOR THE INFANT. FACT. Look it up.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 11:59 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

• You are mixing two different things. You should always have medical insurance. Using a midwife is fine. Delivering at home can be safe, but do realize that there is about 5% chance of transfer to the hospital during labor.  pPus some moms have to transfer care to a doctor during the pregnancy if something comes up. Medical insurance is a must. Trying to save money is not a reason for delivering at home. There are many valid reason to deliver at home. Saving money isn't one of them.

LoveMyDog

Answer by LoveMyDog at 12:00 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• Lol, i'm not trolling. This is a legitimate question I have a genuine concern about. Everyone knows the state of health insurance in this country. And I'm one of the millions of Americans without it. If I were to get pregnant and hire a midwife, would I be considered irresponsible? That's what I'm asking. You are right, we don't know a lot about midwives and their services, which is another reason I posted the question.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:00 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• Correction - I just reread my answer... I know a total of 7 babies who were born at home - 3 of whom didn't make it... Not 3 out of 4 which is how that read...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:03 PM on Aug. 30, 2010