How do you and your SO manage money?

Im always interested to hear how couples manage their money in so many different ways. Some have 1 person in charge, some split responsibilities, some completely manage everything together, some live almost seperate financial lives, lol. Ive heard so many different methods and systems. I guess everyone has to find what works best for them.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:45 AM on Aug. 30, 2010 in Relationships

• he makes it i spend it :) okay its not really that simple....We have had a joint checking account since we moved in together 16 years ago, i make sure the bills get paid and that the checkbook is updated, he asks me if we have enough to use the atm card (this is his choice not mine, he has always said he doesnt want to knw what our balance is). It has neer mattered who made more money it has always been our money. Now that I am a SAHM I feel like it is par of my job, I look at being a SAHM like a job, i have a planner our lives are organized, DH calls me the family CEO lol. DH doenst want the job of the bills he hates money and hates dealing with it, he would rather make the money then hand it over and let me deal with everything.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 12:02 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• We are newlyweds and are still working it out. Right now it's all me because I'm used to doing it as I was a single mom.
    keisha613

Answer by keisha613 at 11:47 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

• He works,I'm a SAHM. I do the bills/finances

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 11:48 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

• We do what Butterflyblue does. I take care of bills and stuff since I'm a SAHM. he works all day. the last thing he wants to do is sit down and figure things out
    KrazyKutie

Answer by KrazyKutie at 11:53 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

• He works. I stay at home. We have one bank account but I pay the bills.
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 11:54 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

• He makes the money, I budget it and pay the bills and get the groceries and everything else. =) It works well for us.
    Krystal.Ingalls

Answer by Krystal.Ingalls at 12:00 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• not very well lol
    It would be better I think if he had nothing to do ith it
    Money seems to burn a hole in his pocket
    Rachel24517

Answer by Rachel24517 at 12:03 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• My husband makes the money, I just make sure all the bills get paid on time! lol He knows what bills get paid each month, etc. It's just easier because I like to pay all our bills before I go grocery shopping so I know what I can/can't spend. We're a team, but I generally keep track of the money going out.
    SAHMomOf3

Answer by SAHMomOf3 at 12:05 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• My husband works and I stay home with our foster kids. I do the banking and budgeting for our family. The only thing my husband asks is that there be savings so if he does want to get something he can. It works great for us. We aren't rich my any means but I am an excellent "cheap skate". LOL We never ever fight about money. thank goodness!
    RentaMom

Answer by RentaMom at 12:23 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• My husband and I both work and keep seperate checking accounts.
    He pays about half the bills and I pay the other half. I take a portion from his paycheck and a portion from mine to put into savings each pay period.
    When we go out to dinner or movies or whatever, who ever has the extra in their account pays. It works pretty well for us, because I like to be in full control of my money and balance to the penny. My husband just spends and doesn't keep track...there is no way I could handle that.
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 12:37 PM on Aug. 30, 2010