How can I teach my 7 1/2 month old to fall asleep on his own?

We have a solid routine everyday, including bath, song, etc. We've had a routine since he was about 6 weeks old. I still have to put him to sleep on my chest and set him down when hes deep asleep. How can I help him learn to put himself to sleep without letting him cry it out.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:59 PM on Oct. 10, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I'm not sure, but good luck! My 21 mo still doesn't fall asleep on her own unless I let her fuss for a little bit. I have, however, heard good things about the book "The No Cry Sleep Solution". I haven't read it myself though. Maybe I should, lol!
    GothyMama

Answer by GothyMama at 11:06 PM on Oct. 10, 2008

• I have the same problem...I have to nurse my 7 months old baby to sleep,and now she wouldn't even sleep in her crib anymore. I just can't let her cry... and I don't know what my other options are.
    Tanitka

Answer by Tanitka at 11:10 PM on Oct. 10, 2008

• Unfortunately, crying it out will probably be your only solution. What he knows at 6 months will be his habbits until you end them. Start him off slow, 15 min., 30 min., 45 min., then an hour. He will learn that mommy isn't going to come soothe him, eventually he will learn to soothe himself. It should only take a week-week and a half at the longest. Do something to keep your mind off his crying, watch t.v. or go outside for a bit. I know it's hard, but it will be better in the long run, he won't be three and still expecting to fall asleep on your chest.
    InTheMoment

Answer by InTheMoment at 11:22 PM on Oct. 10, 2008

• well i have a baby that is 7 months old also. and my baby doesn't do much of a fuss about time for bed...I really think you should give him food(gerbers or something you feed him) around diner time and when the baby doesn't want to calm down. you go make him milk and lay him down in his crib(if he has one) and put a blanket beside his body and put the bottle in between so he lays sideways and drinks out of the bottle by himself...but you should be there watching him. just not at the point were he can see you because that will want him to be carried.....
    I REALLY THINK YOU SHOULD TRY THIS...IT HAS ALWAYS WORKED FOR ME...
    and if it doesn't change message me because i have another way....
    HOPE IT WORKS FOR YOU
    Alexsmommie039

Answer by Alexsmommie039 at 12:25 AM on Oct. 11, 2008

• crying it out i think is whats gonna have to be done
    GwenythsMom

Answer by GwenythsMom at 12:09 PM on Oct. 11, 2008