Anyone have advise about clomid (sp?)?

I am a mom of two (very easily conceived). My hd and I have been trying for a year for #3 and found out I am not ovulating and not having my periods. My progesterone level was very low. My OB decided to put me on Provera and then clomid (the low dose) and up it until my progesterone level is back up and hopefully get pregnant (warning me of the chance of multiples). My sister freaked when I told her about the clomid and thought it was not smart because of the chance of multiples. My mom was pretty neutral about it because after all she did take clomid to conceive my freaked out sis. My friend (who takes a holistic approach) pointed me to progesterone cream because it's a more natural form of progesterone and less side effects. When I asked my Dr. about the cream he said it wasn't concentrated enough to get my cycles started back. Just wanting some advise and see if anyone else has been in this situation. Thks!

megmomof2boys

Asked by megmomof2boys at 11:04 PM on Oct. 10, 2008 in Trying to Conceive

• My husband and I have been trying to conceive for over a year also. I have 5 other children, all conceived on the first attempt. So imagine my surprise a year later and still not pregnant ( I did have an ectopic 3 months ago). Anyway, I am in the same situation as you, kind of. I am ovulating and still getting my period, but I have a low progesterone level. My doctor just put my an a progesterone gel suppository. If I don't end up pregnant this cycle, we are going to go on clomid. There is a chance of having multiples, but my ob told me it is only 8%.

slick05

Answer by slick05 at 11:19 PM on Oct. 10, 2008

• to add. My chances are slightly higher because I am older (36) and have had several pregnancies. My ob also said that before he would give my the injection to release the eggs, he would do an ultrasound to make sure that there weren't to many eggs(like 5 or 6). He said that if there were to many eggs he would not give me the injection and would advise me not to have sex during my fertile time. It seems like they are very careful to make sure that mega multiples don't happen. If you would like to talk some more let me know. We seem to be in similar situations.

slick05

Answer by slick05 at 11:23 PM on Oct. 10, 2008

• The risk of multiples with clomid are higher but not by very much at all.....of course your age plays into it as well....but you only get MEGA multiples from other treatments.....you might end up with twins but nothing more....I took clomid......only one month...only one baby! ;) Dont let it freak you out....read about the statistics for clomid online....it will reassure you....
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 11:28 PM on Oct. 10, 2008

• Wait a minute....I saw your next post....your getting injected with clomid.....??? I took mine by pill orally. That might make a difference, dont know....
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 11:29 PM on Oct. 10, 2008

• No, I'm not getting injected with clomid, slick05 is. My dr. prescribed the pill and to take it after taking Provera and getting my cycles started.
    megmomof2boys

Answer by megmomof2boys at 1:34 AM on Oct. 11, 2008

• I saw that.....I was soooo tired last night I could hardly read......and clearly couldnt comprehend last night...... ;) sorry
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 8:02 AM on Oct. 11, 2008

• I am not getting injected with clomid. The injection is to release the eggs after you have been on clomid.

slick05

Answer by slick05 at 9:47 AM on Oct. 11, 2008

• I've heard that while the cream isn't as concentrated for most MDs liking, it goes into the blood stream better that way and there's less chance of birth defects.
    Bloom4Christ

Answer by Bloom4Christ at 10:25 AM on Oct. 11, 2008

• Bllom4Christ, when I asked my OBGYN about the cream he said it wouldn't be able to get my preogesterone levels up to normal because my levels are so low. I really trust my OBGYN and have been with him for 11 years. But, I'm torn & still not sure what to do. I don't like the idea of side effects, but the good news is it is his hope that I am only going to be on them for a month or so, since I was able to conceive my other two so easily without meds and each took one try.
    megmomof2boys

Answer by megmomof2boys at 1:58 PM on Oct. 11, 2008

• I conceived while on clomid. I took provera and then clomid (low dose) back in May 08. My doctor monitored me weekly to make sure the hormone levels were increasing. I am now due in February 09. The OB warned me of having multiples, but said it was highly unlikely unless I was on a higher dose. I am only pregnant with one. After conceiving I was placed on prometrum to make sure that I stayed pregnant and my hormones would not decrease after conception. Hope this helps! Good luck with everything.
    JD08

Answer by JD08 at 9:04 PM on Oct. 12, 2008