Have you ever just let your baby cry him/herself to sleep, cause you have done everything to calm him/her down?

Im stayin at my grandmothers, cause i have no where else to go. Well, i put my babygirl down to bed and she did'nt go to sleep. So i let her play a little while longer, But she is so sleepy that she dont wanna go to sleep. I rocked her, gave her bottles, let her play some more. But she would'nt go to sleep so i just let her cry. And my grandmother says thats not good for her. I dont know what to do. Everyone says i need to let her cry instead of holding her all the time. I'm so confussed.HELP PLEASE!!!!!!! BY THE WAY SHE IS 7 MONTHS

tylersbaby85

Asked by tylersbaby85 at 11:06 PM on Oct. 10, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I have had that happen to me. My little girl would be screaming and crying and nothing would work. I would try and hold her and rock her and everything and she still wouldn't stop crying. So I just let her cry herself to sleep. Sometimes you can only do so much.
    Anonymous

• She should be on a tight schedule by seven months. YES, LET HER CRY. She knows it's bedtime, she is testing you. She will soothe herself. Check on her about 15min. after she is done. Don't let anyone tell you that it is not good for her. Also, let her cry if she wakes up in the night. You need to start this now, otherwise she will expect it every night and you will be one of those moms constantly chasing her every night for bedtime when she is in a toddler bed. What she knows at six months, will be her habbits. I hope you don't take this as rude, but I am a pro at getting moms to let their kids cry it out. Let me know if you have anymore questions.
    InTheMoment

Answer by InTheMoment at 11:16 PM on Oct. 10, 2008

• Crying method works and is okay if done properly. Youre supposed to keep with a routine (thats the key) and when you lay them down for bed, you let them know that its nite nite time and they need to go to sleep. If they start crying the first time, you go in and check on them. Check diaper and make sure nothing is wrong, but unless they are just screaming irratically, you never pick them up. Lay them back down and leave. Wait 15 min if they are crying again and then go back and do the same. Wait 15 and do the same. May take a couple of nights, but they will get it. They say that 15 min is best because, you are not leaving them long enough to make them feel insecure. Good luck. After a couple of nights this worked perfectly and has slept through the night ever since.
    Anonymous

• Tess is a good sleeper, but every now and then she'll start crying after her bedtime bottle. We can hardly hold on to her cause she's arching and pulling away so much. Letting her play only makes her want to stay up, so we put her to bed and let her cry.

9 times out of 10 she's asleep within 5 minutes. If she's still crying after 10 minutes, I'll go up and rock her for a few. That always does the trick.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 11:29 PM on Oct. 10, 2008

• Sounds like she's cutting teeth. Humphrey's teething pellets help stop the baby from screaming and crying like a charm! I know baby oragel also helps. Good Luck!
    BOBLUNNPL

Answer by BOBLUNNPL at 12:47 AM on Oct. 11, 2008

• wow i cant believe grandma said it wasnt good !! yes it is fine to let your baby cry herself to sleep the doc told me while we were dealing with a case of colic to try and calm her down and then just let her cry because theres nothing we could have done to stop it !! it was horrible but she grew out of it !! and bed time became alot easier !! just always make sure theres nothing that she can get wrapped around or trapped in like an oversized blanket and she will be fine !! good luck !! i have been where your at and understand how you feel but remember when ever or however you are feeling she is going to feel it too so try to relax hun !!! she knows how stressed you are and it does affect her !!
    more2luvmom77

Answer by more2luvmom77 at 1:16 AM on Oct. 11, 2008

• letting a baby cry it out is ok. there is nothing wrong w/ it and it doesn't mean that you are a bad mom if you do it. I haven't met a single mom that hasn't tried it one time or another i know i have and it just did not work with my son b/c he kept on crying and would not stop. and my husband is a pushover :) he goes to get him after like 5 min of crying LOL good luck and try the cry it out method . just make sure you go in there like every 5 min to start off with then make it longer 10 min then 20 then make it to the point where you just don't go in there anymore.
    jaydensmom1205

Answer by jaydensmom1205 at 8:54 AM on Oct. 11, 2008

• i read all of your answers and my son is 11 days old and he does the crying thing where i can't figure out what is wrong and it usually ends up being that he has a trapped burp...have you tried that???
    proudmommy10108

Answer by proudmommy10108 at 11:11 AM on Oct. 11, 2008

• oh 7 months do they still get burped at 7 months NEVERMIND
    proudmommy10108

• I let her cry for a short period of time the other night because holding her didnt help. She had really bad gas, and was more comfortable laying flat... She wasn't crying consistently though, just screaming out, and falling back asleep. I haven't had the situation where I cant get her to stop yet. I will let you know though :). Good luck... Remember, you are her mom. You make the decisions.
    LovinMyMikayla

Answer by LovinMyMikayla at 11:23 AM on Oct. 11, 2008