sleeping on tummy

I know it is supposedly bad to lay a baby on their tummy due to SIDS. I'm scared because that is the only way I can get my newborn to comfortably sleep without having to hold him. My first child slept like that and is fine. For some reason I am more afraid with this one. any advice?? i just need some help lol. I feel so guilty laying him like that and then I am up all night worrying. If i lay him on his back he cries. I can't swaddle him either because he seriously dislikes it. I don't blame him after being cooped up for 9 months I'd want to stretch out too.

travisnowensmom

Asked by travisnowensmom at 12:00 PM on Aug. 30, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My DD wouldn't sleep on her back either. I put a blanket under her mattress so she was propped at a 45 deg angle and had a fan on to circulate the air in the room. She slept in a bassinet next to me until she was 5 months.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 12:03 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• if he sleeps better on his tummy then let him do so. just keep an eye on him. my kids all slept on their tummys too. i tried laying them on their back- they'd choke on their spit or vomit, so i tired on their sides and they would just roll over on their stomachs anyway. as long as you dont keep object in the crib or put the blanket close to their face you should not have anything to worry about babies arent stupid, they know when to turn their heads . comes natural like holdng their breath underwater when swimming
    Kayge

Answer by Kayge at 12:05 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• I never put my kids on their backs. A friend of my grandmothers actually lost her baby because he was on his back and threw up in his sleep... It does happen... Plus, laying them on their tummy helps with gas, which my children always had lots of. I have never understood the fear between sleeping on their belly and SIDS. We do not know what causes SIDS, and many children who sleep on their back still die, so I tend to just ignore all that crap... Do what is best for your kid and ignore all the statistics!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:09 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• Co sleep? Neither of my boys would sleep on their backs either, so we co-slept. They usually side slept and I could monitor them at all times. I wouldn't be able to sleep if I left them alone on their tummies!!!
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 12:12 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• I wouldn't feel bad, just make sure the mattress is firm and there are no blankets around the face and so on. I'm one out of 7 kids and we all slept on our stomachs and all of us are alive and well.
    Gnomeofmyheart

Answer by Gnomeofmyheart at 12:13 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• Have you tried laying him on his side? Its a good mix between back and tummy. Thats how my newborn slept was on his side in a sleep positioner because he hated being on his back and i wasnt comfortable with him on his tummy. He learned to roll onto his side at 2 weeks, and thats how he liked it. And he could fully roll over well at 3 months and has slept on his stomach since then. I have no control over it cause he just rolls that way..lol..They say once they can roll they are safe.
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 12:33 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• If you are breastfeeding then co-sleeping is an option. It's only safe for breastfeeding moms to co-sleep. There are many risk factors for SIDS and tummy sleeping may be the biggest factor. If you are already doing several other things "wrong" like not breastfeeding then the factors add up. It's a tough decision. Even if you do put your baby at more risk of SIDS there aren't many babies that die from SIDS compared to the total number of babies born. Another words it's very, very rare.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:58 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• I understand this anxiety. Both my girls were tummy sleepers almost immediately. They were like your tot it sounds like. They would wake up almost as soon as I would lay them down on their back, but on their tummies I guess they felt more snuggly.

I would also try to remember that it seems like they switch the rule every decade. I think my mom's generation was told that tummy sleeping was best, and then it went to back, and then tummy again.
    Biz1985

Answer by Biz1985 at 1:05 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• I would be scared and nervous too. It really is safest for baby to back sleep, unless he rolls to his tummy himself (although I assume he can't yet). Swaddling worked well for my LO (we used Halo Sleepsack Swaddles, which I think made it a lot easier and he liked better). He could still kick his legs a big, but his arms were wrapped tight and not able to startle him awake.
    smittendorff

Answer by smittendorff at 1:26 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• If you're comfortable with it then do it. Our son has slept on his stomach since he was 4 weeks old and he is fine. Just don't use blankets or anything else in the crib. Also, I don't think you are doing anything "Wrong" if you choose to let YOUR baby sleep on his stomach and you chose not to breastfeed YOUR baby..
    Lisa.Price

Answer by Lisa.Price at 7:21 AM on Aug. 31, 2010