how to take my 5 year old to the dentist if we can't afford it and we don't have insurance

We do have insurance, but it doesn't cover denteal. DH makes to much to get insurance through job and family services, but we also can't afford to pay a dentist. Everywhere areound here I called everywhere and noone takes payments you have to have the money up front. She keeps telling me her bottom front teeth are hurting. So how can I take her to the dentist without insurance and they don't take payments?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:21 PM on Aug. 30, 2010 in General Parenting

• You could find a dentist that takes CareCredit. You apply for the amount of coverage you need and they do the work and then you pay paymenst to the company. Its a little like a credit card. Also, in my county there is a mobile dentist clinic that does free dentistry for children who have no insurance. Call WIC and ask them if they have one.
    luvsmysonjames

Answer by luvsmysonjames at 12:34 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• I would save up a little bit. You should be able to take her in a fairly short time if you save. Or call around and see if any of them use a sliding scale for services. Call your local health department and see if they handle children's dental as well.
    mommy11260

Answer by mommy11260 at 12:23 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• It shouldn't cost that much do just take her in and have them looked at or get her teeth cleaned, probably around 100$ but if she needs work done that's pricey. I think you should take her in to find out what the problem is ( if there is one) so you can figure out if you need to take other steps and how much they will cost so you can prepare for that.
    Liz132

Answer by Liz132 at 12:25 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• First of all, BRUSH HE TEETH after every meal and espcially befor bed. THEN, if there is a University nearbyt with a Dental School, get in touch with them and see of they will take her for an exam. When Iw as in college and had no mony...lol...I went to the U of M Dental school and got almost free care.
    It is so important to make sure she and your whole family get dental care. Bad teeth will damage your whole body and your health will suffer.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 12:30 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• call all the pedi or family dentists in the phone book and ask them if they have a program or donate their time. Until then, that product called Plax really dissolves plaque and build up~it's a pre brush. You will need to floss him or teach him..but I still would get in there myself and do a good teeth brush at least before school or bed. Prevention is going to be your job~
    surfcitymom

Answer by surfcitymom at 12:33 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• There has got to be a clinic somewhere around you. If she is in school contact the counselor, if she isnt in school yet i would start contacting Churches and dental schools. My church offers a free dental clinic. And my DD school offers services as well. The problem needs to be addressed. Even if they are just baby teeth (is it possible they are coming loose? perhaps the grown up teeth are growing and pushing the baby teeth) Anyway, she needs to be looked at asap.
    JessieK79

Answer by JessieK79 at 12:34 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• Call the university in your state. They are usually way cheaper and will work with you. It may be a drive but it is worth it. I would also call to see just what an eval would be for diagnosis. Or buy a policy this month then take her in next month. Gl.
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 12:43 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• Flouride PREVENTS cavities, EveMomToThree. I am wondering where you heard that i causes cavites? And brushing after meals prevents gum disease. Flossing is important too.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 12:58 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• Contact CHIP
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 3:38 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• Honestly, i would just start giving her more foods with calcium and less sugar.. sugar causes the body to leach the calcium from the bones..which leads to sensitive teeth/cavities..etc.

Let her eat LOTS of dairy because it is loaded with calcium. http://ag.arizona.edu/maricopa/fcs/bb/highcalciumfds.html

Stop giving any snacks/foods with sugars.....feed her eggs instead of cereals...fresh fruits and veggies, instead of juices...etc.

Also, ONLY brush teeth once at a day at most or find a fluoride free toothpaste. To much fluoride can cause cavities. http://fluoridedangers.blogspot.com/2005/12/fluoride-causes-cavities.html
    EveMomToThree

Answer by EveMomToThree at 12:41 PM on Aug. 30, 2010