3 year old with a binky....

Ok so PLEASE no bashing!!!! I know this is ridiculous!!! I have tried to go cold turkey and she threw up from crying 3 days straight, I have tried the binky fairy and she wants no part of it, I have tried to cut the top off and she still LOVES it!!! She gets excited like christmas morning EVEYTIME she is going to bed. (She only has it to sleep) I am not surre what to do. I mean if it was her thumb, I couldnt take it away, I doubt she will go off to college with it! She is just so in love with it!! Do I take it and make her deal with it? or do I let her give it up when she is ready? Ideas anyone? Have any of you gone through this? HELP!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:27 PM on Aug. 30, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• i don't think its hurting anything.. My niece had hers til she was 4 - my son never took one so I don't really have a perfect answer but if its for night time only, I don't see that it is hurting anything... I STILL have my pillow I need to sleep with every night so I totally get the comfort items.. if that's hers, I am sure she will grow out of it
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 12:34 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• I am not sure if this works with all kids, but my sister told her son this, "When you are ready to give it up, throw it in the trash." The next day he threw it out. He was about 2.5 years old. I think if you just give her the control, at least for now, it might work! GOOD LUCK!
    mamacjohnson

Answer by mamacjohnson at 12:35 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• I like the suckee fairy. when kids get big enough to start using their hands (verses their mouth) the suckee fairy comes and collects all the suckees for the new babies. He wrote a note to the suckee fairy tell her he was ready to donate his "stash" of suckees and we put them in a bag and put them outside the door for her with a pretty note saying thank you and good bye to them~

he was sad for them even that night, but he started using his blanket to self sooth~its the open bite we have to avoid with those thangs~
    surfcitymom

Answer by surfcitymom at 12:40 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• For my son, we took him to build-a-bear. He put his paci inside and picked out the bear and everything. It was GREAT for us because if he wanted his paci, he could squeeze the bear to find it inside the bears belly. He still loves his bear!
    Glowing4Caleb

Answer by Glowing4Caleb at 2:56 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• Why are you worried about it? Most kids give them up when they're ready. I've never seen a child going to high school with one.
    QuillingDiva

Answer by QuillingDiva at 8:09 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• ds stopped using his right around 2, but will still occasionally ask for it...he hasn't recently b/c my daughter has one, and she's only 6 months. has she been around any newborns? maybe you could give her the big girl talk and show her that babies use binkies, and big girls dont? i think that's mostly why ds stopped wanting his, is because he saw dd and knew she was a baby and he was a big boy. kwim? good luck!
    gfamilyof4

Answer by gfamilyof4 at 10:26 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• my 3 year old just gave hers up... don't feel bad...
    we "cut down' like an addict would! lol! i would let her go to bed with it... but i would sneak in and take it an hour before she would wake up... if she cried, she cried... most days she didn't notice... i did this leaving her with the nuk for less and less time... it took about a week until she actually handed it to me at bed time... couldn't ask for anything better!
    asil

Answer by asil at 11:03 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Its not hurting anything..... let her have it at nighte. She will grow out of it.
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 3:21 PM on Sep. 13, 2010