3 year old with a binky....

Ok so PLEASE no bashing!!!! I know this is ridiculous!!! I have tried to go cold turkey and she threw up from crying 3 days straight, I have tried the binky fairy and she wants no part of it, I have tried to cut the top off and she still LOVES it!!! She gets excited like christmas morning EVEYTIME she is going to bed. (She only has it to sleep) I am not surre what to do. I mean if it was her thumb, I couldnt take it away, I doubt she will go off to college with it! She is just so in love with it!! Do I take it and make her deal with it? or do I let her give it up when she is ready? Ideas anyone? Have any of you gone through this? HELP!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:27 PM on Aug. 30, 2010 in General Parenting

• Trow it away and tell her to deal with it.
    luvsmysonjames

Answer by luvsmysonjames at 12:29 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• If it's just for bed,I'd let it slide until she's ready to give it up,but I'd tell her that she has to give it up no later than a week before kindergarten starts.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 12:30 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• If she's only using it for bed I would let her keep it a while longer-it's not really the end of the world. I would limit to only at home, no sleepovers. good luck!!
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 12:32 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• well at least she only has it at night does she have it during nap...what is she going to do when she goes to pre k or kindergaten. The other day at the store we saw a at least 6 year old walking around with a binky
    Shannon706

Answer by Shannon706 at 12:33 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• My girls never did the pacifier thing, but I'm reminded of some tactics I've heard for other habits that may be useful.

1. I've heard of putting Tabasco sauce on a thumb to deter from sucking, and maybe if she sucks it off and keeps on going, to keep adding it on. ??

2. And/or if she only uses it at bedtime, lay her in bed without her binky. Put a timer in the living room that she can hear and tell her when the timer beeps, you will bring her binky in. the first night only make her wait like 3 - 5 minutes or something, and the next night up the anty to 6 or 7. Let her know that if she cries, you have to start the timer over and it will be longer.

P.S. About the throwing up, I have read that some kids will cry to make themselves sick as a manipulator because they know they will get their way.
    Biz1985

Answer by Biz1985 at 12:34 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• I don't know. Let me know when you solve this one.
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 12:35 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• I would let her have it and not worry about what others think. She more than likely will give it up by 5 and if she doesn't, then it will be much easier for her to give it up because she will understand.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:36 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• My daughter had a love affair with her binky too. By the time she was 3 we had rules, she could only have it in bed. If she randomly wanted it during the day I told her she had to go sit on her bed to have it. That only happened once when she realized how boring it was just sitting there, lol. This went on all of her 3rd year, we were down to just ONE binkie in the house at that point. About a month before she turned 4, which she was beside herself about because being 4 meant she was a big girl =), we started telling her that 4 year olds don't use binkies anymore and that on the morning of her birthday we were going to send her binkie to a friend's baby... we kept reminder her and talking it up about what a big girl she'll be when she turns 4, she LOVED that she was turning 4.... anyway, we took it away on her birthday, she asked for it a couple of times, whined about it for maybe 10 seconds and that was that. Cont...
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 12:38 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• I haven' t dealt with a 3 yo binky kid but I have dealt with a 4 yr old thumb sucker. (she was a foster child) I think the 2nd idea from Biz1985 was very good and yes they will throw up to add drama
    RentaMom

Answer by RentaMom at 12:39 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• Ooh I like Gramsmom's idea about saying it's only for the bed and making her sit on her bed if she wants it. That's genius.
    Biz1985

Answer by Biz1985 at 12:40 PM on Aug. 30, 2010