Any weightlifting tips? I lifted 8 lb weights and hurt my shoulder again. Stayed off but I need to life otherwise I actually gain weight from not lifting.

I usually do three sets of 16 lifts. Any other advice? Thanks....

mamacita69930

Asked by mamacita69930 at 12:49 PM on Aug. 30, 2010 in Health

• I do not recommend alternating heat and ice though... as a Sports Medicine Professional (Certified Athletic Trainer) I would highly recommend Ice rather then heat. Ice dulls the pain, penetrates deeper, increases blood flow better when the rewarming phase in entered thus increasing healing. Heat can increase inflammation making healing take longer and increasing pain.

You probably are lifting with bad form. Can you make an appointment with a Personal Trainer at a gym to learn the correct form?? Or goggle the exercises you are trying to learn the proper mechanics of the motion you are attempting. Hope you fell better ASAP!!

Morgain

Answer by Morgain at 1:07 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• Try starting with lighter weights and moving up as you strengthen your shoulder, and use good body machanics. Ice your shoulder and alternate between Ice and heat.when having pain and do good Range of motion. I just got over a shoulder injury from work, I lift many patients a day. Good luck I hope your shoulder feels better. 8 lbs doesn't sound like alot but when your shoulder is not use to it and you do repetetive motions without your shoulder being ready, then it will have pain. Also do stretches before anywork out as the warm up the muscle group you are working (my Physical Therapist gave me that tip)
    zakityzak

Answer by zakityzak at 12:55 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• Thanks. I had an old bus accident injury on my left shoulder. I never went to the emergency room and so fast forward so many years later whenever I lift it hurts on my right shoulder blade down to my arm.
    mamacita69930

Comment by mamacita69930 (original poster) at 1:09 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• Oh that stinks!! Can you go to an Orthopedist and then to PT?? That's really what you need to help with the pain. The PT will teach you the proper form for lifting.

Morgain

Answer by Morgain at 1:16 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• I went to chiropracter and it made it worse. The electrical method helped but my insurance stopped paying for it. SO I just lost weight and grin and bear it .
    mamacita69930

Comment by mamacita69930 (original poster) at 1:18 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• Thank you Morgain :-) I know Ice works well, I had heat and electo therapy and afterward my shoulde felt better :-) I will remember not to alternate ice/heat
    zakityzak

Answer by zakityzak at 1:30 PM on Aug. 30, 2010