Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

3 Bumps

How do you get proof of abuse on a 15 year old? adult content

My mother in law is not a parent to her daughter (my sister in law). When she is not at school, she is sent off somewhere (either our house, her grandfather's house, or even her boyfriend's house) for the weekend. And a lot of times also on school nights. When she does keep her at home, all she does is find things to scream at her about. When my M.i.l. has an issue with her own daughter, she calls ME to handle it. She has called me before stating, "If you don't come pick her up right now, she is going to end up in the hospital and I will end up in jail, and I don't care."....this has happened several times late on a school night. I live 45 minutes away and have had to get up in the middle of the night and go get her. Recently my S.i.l. has had a personal health issue with has been left untreated bc my mil claims she can't afford the medicine(cream for a yeast inf.). (yet she can afford to get drunk every night) Ugh I'm fed up.


Asked by Kword at 12:55 PM on Aug. 30, 2010 in Health

Level 27 (29,610 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (17)
  • I would turn this women in and also let the state know that you and your hubby are willing to take her in for good. I would think you all have the room for her and this SIL of yours deserves better then what she has benn dealing with on a daily basis. What this MIL of yours is doing to this girl is gonna fuck her up for life. All this girl has to do is tell the truth, that is it. The state would much rathier have her placed with a family member then in a foster home. Your a good women. I hope you all do the right thing.

    Answer by raemommy at 1:01 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

  • has also told me a few times that her mother has slapped her in the face and a few weeks ago left a bruise on her shoulder bc she was drunk and pushed her into the wall. M.i.l. claims to not remember the incident, and I can't convince my S.i.l. that it may be in her best interest to participate in us turning her mom in bc she doesn't want to go to a foster home. (she's been for a few months once before bc her mother's bf molested her) (the bf whom her mom is still seeing, which is the reason that she is never allowed to stay at home.)

    Comment by Kword (original poster) at 12:55 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

  • No one needs proof. What needs to happen is a record needs to be kept of incidents along with a police report.

    It may surprise you, but it's the police's job --not yours-- to investigate and prosecute crimes.

    It is your responsibility to report crimes you have any reason to believe are being committed. As a friend says: failure to report is the same as holding the kid down for the beating.

    Call the police. Today.

    Answer by LindaClement at 12:57 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

  • The police around here won't do shit. The mother of my S.I.L.'s bf and I are going to call CPS.

    Comment by Kword (original poster) at 12:59 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

  • So why do you want the mom turned in? If you report the mom one of two things could happen, 1 nothing and the mom treats her dd worse, 2 girl get sent to a foster home. Neither of those things sound good to me. Why don't you try to find a friend or relative that she can live with.

    Answer by Liz132 at 1:01 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

  • Oh that breaks my heart.. this poor girl.. ugh.. So sorry *hugs* i think you need to call and let her know you will be doing this in HER best interest.. she can't live like this anymore.. and she doesn't DESERVE to live like this either - let her know this is not normal and even if put in a foster home you can try to do all you can to see her as much or have her stay with you as much as you can -

    Answer by maxsmom11807 at 1:02 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

  • Yesterday the mom told me she was about to get violent if I didn't handle the situation for her (they got into an arguement) I fear that since her daughter is getting older and backtalks more (as teenagers in her situation or just any teenager for that matter do) that she will start hitting her.

    Comment by Kword (original poster) at 1:05 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

  • I think you have every reason so fear that - It sounds like it has already happened and is going to start happening more too if someone doesn't step in...:(

    Answer by maxsmom11807 at 1:07 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

  • That's heartbreaking. She needs to be turned in. If I were you, I'd open my home to her, since she needs someone who loves her to straighten her out and reverse some of the damage. Good luck. That poor girl. She's going to end up really screwed up and most likely pregnant too if someone doesn't step in.

    Answer by AshleyBDG at 1:11 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

  • The mother of my S.i.l.'s bf and I will be calling CPS. She works for CPS and we have been talking about what to do. We will be calling as soon as we talk to Amy and ask if there is anything else she needs to tell us about the situation.

    Comment by Kword (original poster) at 1:11 PM on Aug. 30, 2010