Gas Drops?

My baby's pediatrician said that if she is gassy that gas drops are ok... but what do I buy? Are there gas drops for babies? I'm clueless!

tiffanyjt22

Asked by tiffanyjt22 at 12:57 PM on Aug. 30, 2010 in Health

• go to the children's remedies isle in the drugstore or the baby isle in the grocery store. they have mylicon drops, or baby gas-x. they also have gripe water which imo works better. there are lots of choices
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 12:58 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• The mylicon drops always worked great with my son. You can also get them in a generic form (simethicone drops)
    mommy11260

Answer by mommy11260 at 1:00 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• I would never use them. I wouldn't give my breastfed baby anything other than breastmilk. I trust mother nature (my milk) and I don't think breastfed babies need to be taking anything for "gas". The drops may be more harmful than a little normal gas.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:01 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• I looooove Gripe water. It helps with teething also. I have also used mylicon drops and little tummys, but I like the gripe water because it is all natural, and helps with more than one issue.
    GingerMom33

Answer by GingerMom33 at 1:01 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• I wouldn't go anywhere near them: they're drugs with side effects.

Gas in babies is not only normal, it's harmless. Babies with rigid torsos are not suffering from it, and their torsos are not rigid because of gas, but because of the muscle tension involved in crying, wriggling around and lifting their legs.

Your doctor is in a poor position to evaluate medications, having had virtually no education on the subject, and getting most of his/her education was spent on anatomy, minor surgery and the diagnosis of disease --not pharmacology. Most of your doc's information about drugs comes from drug company sales reps... so you can guess how unbiased that is.

If you happen to notice that what you're eating is affecting your breastfed baby, you can try taking it out of your diet to see if you're right. Mothers are often right. If you think it's the formula preparation, you're probably right about that, too. Swap formula and see.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 1:03 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• gas drops are eay to find once you get to the baby section in the store. you'll see. BUT! they CAN make gas worse!! they did for my baby. they work by binding small bubbles in the stomach together to make a larger bubble to make it easier to come up as a burp....however they only work IN THE STOMACH....so that means if that big bubble forms and doesnt come up as a burp, then it tries to move thru the rest of the digestive system and can be very painful until it passes out the other end. if i had known this first i would have tried gripe water instead. hope it works out!
    mamagee1218

Answer by mamagee1218 at 1:03 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• gripe water is great for gassy bellies, and gas drops are ok too. They're harmless, and mylicon is the big name brand for gas drops, but you can also buy generic at target or walmart type places, same exact ingredients and way cheaper. Can't hurt to give it a try, good luck.
    AshleyBDG

Answer by AshleyBDG at 1:03 PM on Aug. 30, 2010