This is a question for atheists that practice withcraft...

I'm honestly just curious...

Where does the power come from for your spells? I hear about the negative repercussions of black magic, but I don't understand who or what is causing these repercussions. It seems as if there are laws in witchcraft, but who is enforcing them?

Thanks in advance for your answers, I'd like to better understand. :)

LovingSAHMommy

Asked by LovingSAHMommy at 1:01 PM on Aug. 30, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Yes, atheists like ME, who practice witchcraft. Many who practice witchcraft do so without gods or goddesses. We call ourselves spiritual atheists. I take my energy from within myself, using my own spirit energy. The fact that it works is sufficient for me to continue to practice witchcraft. I loosely follow pagan/wicca guidelines because they seem sensible and have been around for a long time. Dark magick, technically, does have repercussions--if you are doing it for selfish reasons. But if you believe that the dark spell you are performing is for the ultimate good, the repercussions may not happen at all, or may be mild. A death spell to stop a rapist or a pedophile, or other dark entities is for the greater good, even tho it is black magick. I find that intent is everything and that my own power has always been more than enough.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 1:49 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• I have a number of friends who, like every other religion, spend a fair amount of time proselytizing at me about it all... so I'll give you my version of what I remember hearing them say about the subject:

Energy surrounds us... it is what makes up the universe. We can affect it and we are affected by that energy --all the time. There is positive and negative energy, and when positive things are done with positive intentions (white magic) the repercussions are positive for everyone. When negative things are done for negative reasons (vengeance, greed, cruelty, anger) the repercussions are negative for everyone, particularly whoever originated the energy. Essentially, the universe reflects back whatever you put out there, I think the phrase is 'sevenfold.'

The 'laws' are like gravity: no one enforces it, it's just what happens when...
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 1:07 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• Atheists do not practice witchcraft... wiccans or pagans do.
    HistoryMamaX3

Answer by HistoryMamaX3 at 1:14 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• Being a spirutal atheist, I can only imagine that they are referring to the energy of the earth and the Universe. We all share this energy...it's all around us. You can feel it on the wind, in a room alone, anywhere. But I do not practice witchcraft...so thats just MO:)
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 1:25 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• Thats not an Athiest then, its some else, but an Atheist believes in absolutely nothing but, we live..we die...game over.

As soon as they veer from that, they are no longer Atheist. It may not be totally a Wiccan or Pagan or Shamanistic, but its not Atheist either.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 1:37 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• I dunno where the energys come from. The 1st answer I think of is the Earth, but as an Atheist, I have a very hard time grasping the concept of that.

I do feel there's energys out there, such as what mediums detect and paranormal happenings, but how its all possible, I really don't know. I feel there's forces out there that we can't comprehend right now. Maybe in another century or two, we'll start figuring it out more.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 1:46 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• ...for atheists WHO practice witchcraft. "

Kiss my ass. :)
    LovingSAHMommy

Comment by LovingSAHMommy (original poster) at 1:06 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• Energy surrounds us... it is what makes up the universe. We can affect it and we are affected by that energy --all the time. There is positive and negative energy, and when positive things are done with positive intentions (white magic) the repercussions are positive for everyone. When negative things are done for negative reasons (vengeance, greed, cruelty, anger) the repercussions are negative for everyone, particularly whoever originated the energy. Essentially, the universe reflects back whatever you put out there, I think the phrase is 'sevenfold."

That makes sense, thank you. :)
    LovingSAHMommy

Comment by LovingSAHMommy (original poster) at 1:08 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• wait... did I read this correctly?
    "Atheists" who practice witchcraft.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 1:09 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• wait... did I read this correctly?
    "Atheists" who practice witchcraft. "

Yes. What is so hard to believe about that? I know of women on Cafemom who are atheists, yet practice witchcraft.
    LovingSAHMommy

Comment by LovingSAHMommy (original poster) at 1:13 PM on Aug. 30, 2010