Do/did you ERF?

My son is nearing a year old and I've read that usually at a year they can be faced forward in their car seat. However, I'm highly considering waiting, but does anyone know at what point the risks associated with forward facing go down? When would you recommend facing his seat forward?

LovingSAHMommy

Asked by LovingSAHMommy at 1:05 PM on Aug. 30, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• Well, my son didn't, but, it was in 1997 when he was a year and we had no clue. With my next kids, they will ERF until the max weight of the best seat i can find and I believe the weight is 40lbs. I don't care if they are 4. LOL
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 1:15 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• I didn't ERF my older son, because I didn't know better, but he is extended harnessed. My baby is 19 months and still rides rf, but he's not tall enough to ff in his seat, at barely at the 20 pound mark so technically we are not ERF yet.

As far as the benefits, just search car seat safety on youtube or check out a car seat group..There is lots of good info. Its best to RF until the limitations of your seat (check your owners manual)
    darcibeisheim

Answer by darcibeisheim at 1:10 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• I turned my son's carseat around at age 1 and he loved it and was perfectly fine. However, my girlfriend didn't turn her daughter's seat around until she was over 2 because she just wasn't comfortable with it. It's entirely your choice. Whatever makes you feel comfortable and secure. Here's a site with some good info:

http://www.car-safety.org/faq.html
    arouthier

Answer by arouthier at 1:10 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• I ERF my older kiddo to almost 2. my younger one ERF until it just got too hot this summer, then I flipped him. He'll go back rear facing as soon as it cools down. He has some metabolic issues on top of his genetic condition so overheating can be a problem for him. He's 19 months.
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 1:11 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• I am ERF. I saw this video on it and it was enough for me!

http://vimeo.com/4669045
    JoeyJrsMomma

Answer by JoeyJrsMomma at 1:14 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• I wish I could have ERF. However, DD screamed so much that even with a DVD player trying to distract her, I was so distracted by the screaming that I was a hazard to myself and others. I turned her a little after her 1 yr b-day and it's been peaceful and stressless ever since.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 1:32 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• I think the ERF is complete crap. As long as the car seat is installed properly and your child is properly strapped in, it does not make the slightest bit of difference.

I turned both my kids around on their 1st b-days and IF I was ever to have another, I would turn them on their b-day also.
    Maureen-MD

Answer by Maureen-MD at 2:28 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• My grandson is turning 2 in Sept and he is rear facing in his parents car and my minivan. I showed my son videos from YouTube about the reasons to ERF. He is small and is still around 22 pounds and in my minivan I still have a baby car seat. I drive with him a lot and I'm considering getting a Britax. He is going to rear face as long as possible and since he is small that is going to be a long time.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:10 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• I wanted to ERF but after a 5 hour road trip taking TEN hours because my son was so upset, I switched the seat to fwd facing for the ride back and it has been smooth sailing ever since. I have a hatchback and when he was rear facing he would get blasted by the sun all the time, so I have kept him fwd facing for his comfort and my sanity.
    getrealmama

Answer by getrealmama at 9:17 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• No. And I don't plan to with the next one. I've always found it safer for everyone in the car if the baby isn't screaming.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:47 PM on Aug. 30, 2010