8 month old screaming during bottle feedings.....

Lately my 8 month old son has been screaming and rfeusing bottles at almost every feeding. I know everyone says earache or teething, however no fever, runny nose, and i have read and been told that tugging of the ears doesn't necessarily mean an ear infection...he has his 2 bottom teeth i was just needing some advice or suggestions. He has no problem eating his solids. He is an incredibly happy baby otherwise always wanting to play, just bottles lately seem to make him scream bloody murder.

JennaJ721

Asked by JennaJ721 at 1:28 PM on Aug. 30, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Put his formula in a sippy cup instead. I BF, but started all my kids on sippy cups for their water starting at 7 months.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 1:31 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• maybe give him his milk or formula or whatever in a sippy cup? one that is almost bottle shaped
    xotatiannaxo

Answer by xotatiannaxo at 1:31 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• Have you taken him to the Doctor to find out why he screams? There has to be a reason---I would say an ear infection. Only your Pediatrician would know. I would be really scared. Screaming is not a normal thing while drinking a bottle.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 1:32 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• has he ever had any reflux problems? Our baby had bad reflux and feedings were the only time she would really fuss a lot until she was put on medicine...just a thought
    RentaMom

Answer by RentaMom at 1:34 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• Try a non spill sippy cup.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 1:34 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• He needs 32 oz of formula a day until 12 mo for brain growth. Don't know what to tell you about bottles, I breastfed.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:36 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• Gaill Why answer if you're not going to be of any help?

I am going to say that it may be due to a gas related issue. That either the bottle you're using or the formula you use is causing him terrible gas. I would suggest either switching to a new type of bottle or switching to a sippy cup.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 1:38 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• I am pretty sure 32 oz isnt absolutely the number if he is also eating solids regularly...thats what was recommended to me before solids....seems a bit much...but he did have reflux and spit up issues, they have improved since solids though. this has only been 2-3 days and since his teeth had come in, my doctors office cant get me in til wed after 2 ...
    JennaJ721

Comment by JennaJ721 (original poster) at 2:51 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• If he's had refulx issues in the past, it might just be the reflux acting up again. I know with my son we dealt with the same exact thing- he was doing great and we thought he had gotten over the reflux... then out of nowhere he would scream during feedings!! You would think we were giving him poison or something. Needless to say, it was his reflux again and it was waaaaay worse. He is now on medication (3) to help relieve the pain. Please let us know what happens at the doctor and good luck!
    Lisa.Price

Answer by Lisa.Price at 7:12 AM on Aug. 31, 2010