• In the Spotlight:

Potty training boys?

Any tips for potty training boys?

orgaincsmama

Asked by orgaincsmama at 11:47 PM on Oct. 10, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Loads of patience praise and practice, I waited in the bathroom each time for my son to go so he got the idea and I payed attention to his mannerism when I knew he had to go. GL
    Apr1l

Answer by Apr1l at 11:50 PM on Oct. 10, 2008

• When he finally goes, reward him! Not just any reward but some kind of treat that he doesn't normally get and it should motivate him to go!
    pat-a-cake

Answer by pat-a-cake at 12:27 AM on Oct. 11, 2008

• i sat my kids in the toilet for a few minutes a day to get em use to it.and for my son i bought him spiderman underware and he ripped off his diaper to put em on.he was excited to wear underwares of spiderman. try buying his fav cartoon underware to see how he reacts.
    Jayzwife

Answer by Jayzwife at 2:15 AM on Oct. 11, 2008

• what i finally did with my son, is first i told him that diapers were for babies, (this only probably works on a few kids but it worked on mine) So i told him that they were for babies and that we needed to give them to a baby that needed them. so one day we hand this man come over with his baby and we sold all his diapers( where my son saw me give them to him. when the guy handed me the money i gave it to my son and said now we can go buy you new underwear that BIG boys wear and a potty to use.

Jasmine0530

Answer by Jasmine0530 at 3:27 AM on Oct. 11, 2008

• I even let him pick out the potty he wanted to buy. after we got home we used the thing of he got a prize every time he just sat on the potty(going or not) then after a few days of that it went to were if he went in the potty he got a prize. and after he got use to going in the potty it went to if he went 5 time then he got a prize. and now he is potty trained. if you start them out on a big toilet give them something to aim at(ie a Chariot or something that can be flushed that floats) it will help to keep them pointing down
    Jasmine0530

• Rewarding and praising are wonderful tools, but I found that what he was most excited about was the urinal we purchased at Wal-Mart at the same time we purchased his potty chair. He gets so excited because when he pees in the urinal he gets to "flush" it. The urinal actually holds water at the top and when he is done he pushes the button and flushes it down. We just used that as encouragement for him to go and it seems to be working!
    manyblessings

Answer by manyblessings at 4:18 AM on Oct. 11, 2008