what exactly is a "kitchen witch?"

I read somewhere that this term is offensive? what exactly does it mean?

Owl_Feather

Asked by Owl_Feather at 1:38 PM on Aug. 30, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• "How's she gonna cast circle today,
    with the carrot or the athame
    "

To me, KitchenWitchery is just another form of Low Magick (as opposed to High Magick).  A KitchenWitch, like myself, will use the same knife to Cast her Circle as she did to cut up to meat and veggies and herbs for the stew.  She has no need for pomp and circumstance...her apron is her ceremonial robe.  We weave prayers and spells into the dinners we make for our families.  KItchenWitches will often grow gardens and give offerings to the Great Mother via the compost heap. 

My guess as to why it is/was considered an "insult" is that it must come from the High Magick Practitioners as they tend to be rather sanctimonious.  Not to mention the Christian Propoganda. 

MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 3:24 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• Never heard that it was offensive before. But a kitchen Witch is a path of witchcraft that focus'son healing, cooking and more of the physical creative aspects in craft work. So her tools are in the kitchen, her crafting is in the kitchen, and she never burns water or scorches her pots and her meals always come out on time and delicious. :)

isabellalecour

Answer by isabellalecour at 2:08 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• I'm not a Kitchen Witch, but I know many who are proud to be so. In fact a few on this site even. It's not in any way offensive. It's a person who practices Witchcraft mostly through tools found in the Kitchen - through and with herbs, food and even the act of cooking... It's a growing trend and I have never heard anyone who wasn't proud to use the term...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 2:28 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• when I hear the term I think of herbs and other natural remedies. Like if you say you have a headache, they give you a tea with different herbs that cures the headache.
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 1:40 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• I believe that it's a witch that brews her potions in her kitchen
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 1:40 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• people are just so weird about what is offensive and what isn't these days if you don't know what it even is i wouldn't worry about it...
    nandy90

Answer by nandy90 at 1:53 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• I THINK it's a way of sayng someone isn't a "true" pagan and or witch. I could be wrong though.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 2:01 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• A witch who uses herbs and natural plants to heal. I have several kitchen witch recipes in my European spellbooks. You can bake up cookies that will draw love to you, or a soup that will give you spiritual protection, etc. It is an impressive practice, in my opinion. It comes with an extensive knowlege of the human body and what will give the best results for each spell. It is a rare talent. You can probably use the phrase "green witch", if you find "kitchen witch" too offensive.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 2:51 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• I personally dont find it offensive! i'd consider myself a kitchen witch. I love herbs and cooking certain foods to create certain moods/mindsets! I just read it somewhere thats all.
    Owl_Feather

Comment by Owl_Feather (original poster) at 2:57 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• I think of the stereotype Halloween witch toiling over a bubbling cauldron
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 1:48 PM on Aug. 30, 2010