how often should i get a babysitter for my 6 week old?

so far its only been family that watches her. im assuming my problem is 'mommy guilt' because i feel so bad every time i take a break from her but I NEED BREAKS!! Is once a week too much? also, a relaxing break for me is having a cocktail or two ...is that terrible?

mamagee1218

Asked by mamagee1218 at 1:40 PM on Aug. 30, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Totally dissagree with gailll. No that is not bad!!! It is normal!!! I would leave her with family, like my mom, but thats just IMO. You do what you feel you want. There is nothing wrong with wanting a break sometimes. That could mean a happier baby cause mommy is less stressed and happier!!! You are a mom now, but still a person!!!!
    rileymommy

Answer by rileymommy at 2:15 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• I have 5 kids, the youngest is 7 weeks. Once/week either my mom or my MIL watch her for me, while the other one watches my 2 year old, and my oldest 3 are in school so I can have some "free time" (usually that's when I do my heavy cleaning or some necessary shopping). Once a week is the most I feel comfortable leaving her anywhere right now.

Answer by missanc at 1:47 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• I didn't go out much when my kids were teeny. I think we went out for the first time when my first born was 2 months old and I thought that was too soon, but we had tickets to a show. The only breaks I got was when DH would stay home with her and I'd go grocery shopping or to get a hair cut, and that was really for most of the first year...once my 2nd came, forget it, we almost never went out. If I wanted a cocktail, I had it at home.

I don't see anything wrong with going out for a couple of hours each week if you have a good sitter, assuming you're not going out partying until all hours.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 1:49 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• IT IS GOOD TO HAVE A BREAK AND TALK WITH ADULTS EVERY SO OFTEN. AND YOU DON'T HAVE TO BE A MARTYR AND NEVER LEAVE THE BABY. jUST PUMP A LITTLE BREAST MILK FOR A BOTTLE BEFORE YOU LEAVE. I GUESS i WOULDN'T BE DRINKING BUT I WOULD SOCIALIZE WITH OTHER MOMS.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 2:03 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• Babywearing, helps tremendously by the way. you cand do chores and go out hands free. you can get adult interaction even with a newborn.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 2:07 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• For now I'd say it isn't a bad thing (the cocktails), I remember how stressful the young ones can be. BUT, I also know from personal experience how quickly using alcohol just to relax can turn into being completely dependent on it to a point where you've become an alcoholic. I would suggest getting a hobby or having a girls night out instead of just drinking.
    an-apple-a-day

Answer by an-apple-a-day at 1:47 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• I should add that I also breastfed, which definitely makes a difference regarding having free time.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 1:51 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• ....@ Gailll....i dont think these forums are intended to be places where you should judge people...i was just asking for friendly advice...but thanks a million for giving me one more thing to beat myself up about!! hope that made YOU feel better....to everyone else, THANK YOU!!
    mamagee1218

Comment by mamagee1218 (original poster) at 1:55 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• For me a break at that age was a short nap or shower or work (3 hours) while my husband was home or with family company, I never left her to go out for a movie until close to 6 months old, and that was once a month. Even now at 11mo I'd rather my MIL come to my house to occupy the baby while I do things.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 2:05 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• thank you AMILEEGIRL...i have a babybjorn but i always forget about it...
    mamagee1218

Comment by mamagee1218 (original poster) at 2:14 PM on Aug. 30, 2010