What is belief in the paranormal called (if anything)?

I'm basically Atheist, but... I do feel there's something out there.. in the paranormal and I do feel that medium "feel" something, as such that pulls me away from being a "true" Atheist (I think), cuz a true Atheist would believe in nothing period.

Zoeyis

Asked by Zoeyis at 1:43 PM on Aug. 30, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I am a spiritual atheist who practices witchcraft and who believes that: 1. Something very big is leaving footprints, and is seen in photographs, all over the world. 2. That ufos are real and are most likely not of THIS world, tho I won't presume to guess where they might originate. 3. That spirits and angels have been heard and photographed enough times for me to know they are real. 4.That magick is a real and mysterious thing. 5. And that we human beings cannot be so arrogant as to presume that we know EVERYTHING there is to know. It is likely that the "paranormal" is actually quite normal--if infrequent--and has been so for as long as we have existed. Most atheists are skeptics, but that doesn't mean all of them are. I don't consider myself less of an atheist because I believe in certain things that other atheists might not believe in. We only share a disbelief in gods. That's all.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 2:44 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• I would think "spiritual" or even "agnostic" could fit that belief. Atheists by definition don't believe in GOD, but I have known many "Spiritual Atheists" which believe in the paranormal or other spiritual aspects of life. Agnostics tend to believe there is "something" out there, they just aren't ready to say it's God... So I would think either label would fit.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 2:11 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• I'm an Atheist and I totally believe in the Paranormal. I just don't believe any of it comes from a God, but from nature and from human's themselves.
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 2:18 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• Ditto IhartU.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 2:35 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• Patience - if she's an Atheist, she doesn't believe in the Devil either...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 5:57 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• I go with agnostic as a good "label" if you need one. I always think of atheist as having no feeling or belief of a great power at all-but then again, I could be wrong. I always thought of agnostic as being-I believe something is a greater power but not sure who or what....

After reading some of these beliefs, I think I am OK with some of you thinking I am crazy for believing in God.
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 8:55 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• How about "Agnostic-ish" ;)... and I never drew the line between Agnostic and Christian,but then again its probably because I am not Agnostic.
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 9:42 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• spiritualist. agnostic.
    connorlove

Answer by connorlove at 5:32 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• @Sabrina ohhhhhhhhhhhh
    Patience909

Answer by Patience909 at 7:43 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• Its Agnostic-like. Agnostics aren't sure about God... so its still Christian God related.
    In this case, I don't beleive in God at all, but I do go for the paranormal stuff and to some extent Mediums, so its not exactly Agnostic, but its very similar to that in that I'm not sure what it is exactly.
    Zoeyis

Comment by Zoeyis (original poster) at 6:51 AM on Aug. 31, 2010