Why am I losing so much hair!?

Right after labour I was fine, my hair was totally fine, all that really happened was that I got dry skin. But right when 4 months hit, my hair is falling out everywhere! and I'm talking LOTS, it clogged the shower. When I wash my hair soo much falls out, and then when I get out of the shower it just hangs out and falls. I tried not brushing my hair right when I get out of the shower but my hair still falls out everywhere! it's driving me crazy, my floors are covered in hair, and it's just ridiculous! Why all of a sudden did I start losing my hair? I have been stressed out lately, but I've been stressed out soo much in my life that I've never experienced me losing so much hair.
I have long hair...I was thinking of getting it cut...would that make a difference? I don't know.

JanetCG

Asked by JanetCG at 1:43 PM on Aug. 30, 2010 in Health

• i would see a doctor because i don't think thats normal
    nandy90

Answer by nandy90 at 1:45 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• hormone change.

while you're pregnant, the hormones keep you from shedding (totally normal) but about 3 months after birth, those hormones are gone and suddenly your head thinks it needs to shed, unfortunately it tends to do that all at once it seems. It's just your head catching back up with the shedding it didn't do while you were pregnant
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 1:46 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• You should get your thyroid checked. That is the culprit of losing hair that I know of. There are other reasons of course, but that's the biggest one.

zbee

Answer by zbee at 1:48 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• Hello there, As a Cosmetologist I doubt that anything is wrong. Make sure and brush your hair well atleast once a day with a good regular brush, not a vent brush. You have around 100,000 strands of hair. Alot of times what happens is without regular brushing a person uses just a vent brush and it appears like you are going bald. :-). Brush your hair thouroughly before going to bed and before you shower. Cutting your hair won't make a difference. It seems like alot of hair loss but with how many strands you have it is OK to lose quite a bit of hair Don't worry and keep taking vitamins. Another possibility is that you are having breakage from an unhealthy chemical treatment. Did you get color or a perm? If that is the case than you will have to wait until it grows out to get healthier hair. Good luck and congratulatons on your baby :-).......
    LeJane

Answer by LeJane at 1:57 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• I'm having the same problem. Are you by any chance on Mirena? I've had all the blood tests done - thyroid, hormone levels - all normal. I even went to a dermatologist. The response was stress, but I've been doing some research and I think Mirena may be my problem. If you are on Mirena, it might be worth looking into.
    Kricket1619

Answer by Kricket1619 at 10:51 PM on Aug. 30, 2010