is it normal for my baby to be so restless while she sleeps?

it seems like she is always wiggling and grunting and only about half asleep...like she is uncomfortable...even if she is swaddled and well-fed. anyone elses baby do this? she is 6 weeks btw...

mamagee1218

Asked by mamagee1218 at 1:45 PM on Aug. 30, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• sometimes my baby is a real wiggle worm, too. she's four weeks old now. i've noticed that at those times, she wants to be held while sleeping. lol i'm doing that right now, i'm on cafemom to stay awake.
    how often do you rock her to sleep, and how often do you allow her to fall asleep on her own? the doctor advised me to place her in the crib when she gets sleepy, to allow her to self-calm and self-induce sleep on her own, so she wouldn't be dependent upon others to sleep. she has begun to sleep very well on her own because of that. and that helps me have the patience to put her to sleep when she really needs it, like right now. then i don't feel like i have to rock her to sleep at every nap. the other posters have suggested other things, like gas. i would check into that as well.
    AngryBob

Answer by AngryBob at 8:43 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• i have never seen a newborn do that but every baby is different if u are worried maybe call her doctor and ask them
    nandy90

Answer by nandy90 at 1:48 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• i was going to ask if you have tried swaddling, but obviously you have soooo.... ? maybe she's just having weird dreams?
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 1:46 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• It's normal for human babies to sleep being held or next to their mother. My grandson could never sleep by himself, he would be so restless he wakes himself up.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:50 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• My baby was like that sometimes. It was gas. Try gas drops or gripe water! GL!!!
    rileymommy

Answer by rileymommy at 2:11 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• I cosleep with DD so I'm extremely aware of how mobile she is in bed. I think some babies just move around and "talk" in their sleep.

If she is really uncomfortable seeming then I would wonder if she is too hot or too cold. If shes a wiggle worm, a sleep sack might stay on her better. Will she nap on your chest or in a sling? Does that change things?

If she has the right temperature and isn't lonesome, then she might just be a loud sleeper.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 8:05 PM on Aug. 30, 2010