Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

Hit and Run Accident....

I have a question I was driving my niece to school and I was hit by a lady who didn't stop to trade information, I tried to get her information and she pulled into the school drop off area and got her child out and looked at her car and took off, well I got her plates and make and model of her car called the cops and got a police report number now what do I do, I don't wanna file a claim on my policy incase in makes it go up but he did run her plates and said she does have insurance. Kust not sure what to do now. We were not hurt but there is a dent in my car and scratches where she side swiped it.

Answer Question

Asked by Korysmom96 at 1:53 PM on Aug. 30, 2010 in Money & Work

Level 13 (1,257 Credits)
Answers (12)
  • You should file and get your car fixed. It may look like superficial damage, but there could be something else wrong beneath the surface. Oh, and not reporting it is insurance fraud, if they find out you can get in serious trouble. Plus, she side swiped you with a kid in her car while there was a kid in yours! Thats just wrong and careless, make her suffer the consequences of her actions!

    Answer by an-apple-a-day at 1:56 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

  • if she doesn't have insurance then she probably wont be able to pay for ur damages so if u want ur car fixed and dont want to go through ur insurance agent then u will probably have to pay for the damages out of ur own pocket

    Answer by nandy90 at 1:57 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

  • You should still contact your insurance. Your insurance will also work to try and find her. If they can't find her, they will most likely file a claim under your uninsured/under-insured coverage. That is what mine did, and that deductible is only half of my regular comprehensive deductible. My insurance premiums did not increase, either.

    Answer by andrea96 at 1:59 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

  • Call your local Bar Assoc. & get a free or no-cost consultation w/ an attorney. She is driving illegally if she does not have insurance. Even if she doesn't have insurance, she is still financially responsible to get your car fixed. The attorney will tell you the best way to collect from her depending on the price to repair your car. (You could take her to small claims court & garnish her bank acct. or wages) Good luck!

    Answer by mrsmom110 at 1:59 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

  • Hello! nandy90,the other driver does have insurance!!! Read it again!!!! U need to get it fixed and drag her butt into court to get it fixed.

    Answer by dancer at 2:00 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

  • I would call your insurance comany. If they're like mine, they will actually tell you if it's worth filing a claim and if there will be a premium increase *before* you file a claim. Since hit and run is a crime (at least in my state), I'd also contact your local DMV with the police report info.

    Answer by geminilove at 2:00 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

  • I used to work for a car insurance claims office....make a claim on your insurance, and give the claims adjuster her information you got and also the police report. They will find out her insurance information and go after her insurance for payment of the damages.

    Answer by fallnangel93 at 2:01 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

  • I disagree about "not reporting it is insurance fraud". A guy hit me once and kept begging me not to call the Police (legally it was my fault for pulling out). I felt like calling was the right thing to do so I did. I told the Officer how the guy did NOT want me to call him or insurance and he said I do NOT have to call insurance if I don't want to but it's best so he can't come back and try to sue me.

    Now in your case it's different because she took off, she can't try to sue you. But I do think you should consider filing because I think the "hit and run" needs to go on her record. What if she's done this before, or does it again?

    But it's your call. Good luck to you!

    Answer by firenicecream at 2:04 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

  • Body shop estimates are free. Got to two different places and get estimates then call your insurance company. If it is under $1000.00 than you don;t need to file a police report. Her insurance needs to cover it. Not to mention she owes you an apology. Grrrrrrrrrrrrr.. :-)

    Answer by LeJane at 2:06 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

  • File an insurance claim and give them a copy of the police report. Then it will be up to the insurance agent to get the money from the other woman. By the way, if she didn't stop to give you her info, that qualifies as a hit and run. Are the police filing charges against her?

    Answer by HotMama330 at 2:35 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.