Daycare/Preschool Jitters (mommy) ADVICE!

Ive been home with my son since he was born, hes now 16mo. I recently got a job at a preschool & my son will be joining me there when hes 18months old. As of right now, he will only be there from about 230-430, sometimes 6. Ive always worked in preschools but now that its MY child, im so nervous! Hes so attached to me and hes so used to the way I do things. My biggest concerns (besides seperation anxiety & bullying) is nap time & lunch time! Im afraid he wont lay on his mat n nap, hes used to me rockin him to sleep at nap time. And lunch, i still cut up his food to small bite size peices. (before last week he still only had 4teeth, now he has 6, all in front) And the school they dont chop up anything for them...that makes me really nervous! And also, he hasnt mastered the spoon/fork deal. O and they dont have highchairs, they sit at the table! This is alot to take on for a child whos been at home everyday, advice please!

EthansMommy5

Asked by EthansMommy5 at 1:53 PM on Aug. 30, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I totally understand your worry - I had my child start at 16 months and he was known to all of us as hard to get down for a nap and at the time I only rocked him also -otherwise he would not nap - I asked and prewarned the center that he might have a horrible time etc.. well with in 3 days he was laying by himself without being held or rocked and actually sleeping - I STILL can't get him to nap at home with me but he naps at daycare.. I don't know how but it happens.. I also cut my son's food up for him and was shocked when I saw a picture of him eating a WHOLE chicken nugget all by himself.. I think they are more capable than I was letting him become.. its ok I am sending hugs to you as I know how hard this was!!
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 1:58 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• He's not going to learn if you don't let him try. Keeping him at home with you is just teaching him to depend only on you, he's got to learn to depend on himself too. In most cases, you can talk to the principal and teachers at his school to set up special needs. If they aren't willing to work with you and your child its not a good place to work let alone send your child to.
    an-apple-a-day

Answer by an-apple-a-day at 2:01 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• it will be harder on you than on him! both of my boys transitioned to napping on a cot very well...much better than I thought b/c they always napped in my bed with me laying with them. they both did well sitting at a table too. it does seem like a lot for a 1 year old. i felt the same way. know you are not alone! best of luck!
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 2:01 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• Do child care in your home or go to other people's home. If you take care of rich people's kids you can make lots of $$. I would take care of other people's babies like my own - wear them in a sling, attachment parenting, family outings to children's museum, ect. and people would pay a lot to know their babies were being cared for as they wanted. I would usually only take care of one baby until they were 18 mo. and make as much as if I had a job.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 2:04 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• You know I going though the same thing the only diffences is that I went back to work when she was 7 weeks old and my hubby stayed home with her. My DD is 2 almost 2 1/2 and she is starting a home daycare on Wednesday and I am so sick about it. But ya it will all be fine for her it's gonna be harder on me. The flip side of this is my hubby and I have never ever left her with anyone no grandparents, sisters NO ONE. I have been writing up all her likes and dislikes and allows how i cut up her food, i have two pages of the way that i do things. Maybe you should write something up about your child. Good luck to you momma I am sending you hugs.
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 2:25 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• thanks ladies! Maxsmom, you reassured me a ton!
    I do want to let him learn these things, its just so scary when its your only baby. Im sure hes capable of doing them all hes a very smart little boy.
    And I do not want to babysit from home, ive been doing that off and on in the past. Ive been home for 2years and im so ready to get back to work and have adult interaction! Plus, my son acts like a totally different child when hes with me and other children, he gets really jealous but if hes with a different adult and children (church nursery) its fine! So i want him to have a good experience! Thanks so much for ya'lls advice im very excited and anxious for this new chapter!
    EthansMommy5

Comment by EthansMommy5 (original poster) at 2:27 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• wow rae mommy i bet thats going to be a big change for your DD & Hubby! That is a good idea. I really like the idea of working there too, because i can talk to his teachers whenever i want & i know how they do thing. Ive been talking to her lately & letting her know my concerns and she seemed very positive & nice about them.
    We didnt leave our son with anyone till he was over a year! So i feel ya!
    EthansMommy5

Comment by EthansMommy5 (original poster) at 2:44 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• Don't worry. Your baby will be fine. He will get his routine down at day care. The socialization and independence will be good for him. You will be amazed at all the new things he will learn at day care and that will give you a whole new reason to be proud of him.
    soccerfanatic13

Answer by soccerfanatic13 at 4:16 PM on Aug. 30, 2010