What kind of flea shampoo do you use on your cats/how often and how well does it work?

I got my cats the Frontline once a month dose about 3 weeks ago..$40 down the drain because really..it didnt work very well.
So I went and bought some flea shampoo..I got the Sergeants. I washed one cat already...wasnt too happy about it..lol. Got 2 more to go, just taking a break.
Anyway..have you ever used this brand,does it work good on them?
Or is there another brand you would reccomend?
Thankyou!!! :)

kimberlyinberea

Asked by kimberlyinberea at 1:58 PM on Aug. 30, 2010 in Pets

• For all of my pets we use garlic. . . (fed weekly, bi-weekly, or monthly). So far it has been a life saver!!! Last year we couldn't get rid of the fleas and this year NONE what so ever it is great!
    Kirs

Answer by Kirs at 2:05 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• there are other flea treatments that aren't shampoos so i would recommend checkin those out if u aren't that pleased with the shampoos that u have been trying on them
    nandy90

Answer by nandy90 at 1:59 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• oh you can also press the garlic into water and make a garlic spray to use topically. That is great too!
    Kirs

• I have not ever found a flea shampoo that worked- Frontline always worked for us, but you could always call the vet and see what they would suggest. I know the fromtline won't work if you put it on them less than 24 hours after a bath...
    faithnseansmama

Answer by faithnseansmama at 2:08 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• Flea shampoo only works on the flea that are on the animal not on the animals in the environment. If Frontline did not work well for you then you should go back to the vet and try advantage or revolution. DOn't give up after one though because it can take 3 to 4 months to all of the fleas.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 4:40 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• Any shampoo/soap will kill the fleas on a cat if you leave the suds on for at least five minutes. I've got two cats that are severely allergic to fleas (even with treatment they can still get bit) and get a nasty rash from the bites. I use pure and natural hand soap to wash them. It kills any fleas on them, and all the oil in the soap softens their skin and cleans up the rash as well.

I've used dishwashing liquid, any soap/shampoo that I had, liquids and bars ~ they all work.

You need to treat the environment as well as your pet, and vacuum regularly during peak flea times. Pesky little parasites :-(
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 10:45 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• i dont my cat never has fleas.. never has got them odd is isnt it
    Kittty_Katt

Answer by Kittty_Katt at 10:35 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• my daughter used dog shampoo on the cat it seem to help
    dutchcanadain

Answer by dutchcanadain at 1:26 AM on Sep. 8, 2010