When to start Preemies on foods

My twin boys will be 5 months old on the 15th and they were 5 weeks early. If you had a preemie, how old was your baby when you started them on baby food & cereal?

kristyrea

Asked by kristyrea at 12:06 AM on Oct. 11, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I started mine on food at 4 months old and my twins were born 3 and 1/2 weeks early. That's when the doctor told me to start.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:09 AM on Oct. 11, 2008

• My daughter was 14 weeks early. The doctor had us start with cereal when she was 8 months actual age, 5 months adjusted. We were told to give it a try. If she wasn't ready, she wasn't ready. It took a few tries, but she eventually caught on and we moved onto veggies and fruits shortly after that.
    lovinmystar

Answer by lovinmystar at 12:13 AM on Oct. 11, 2008

• My DD was almost 4 weeks early and I started feeding her at 4 mo. Watch for your DS's to watch you eat, smack their lips when watching you, and act interested in eating. I started with rice cereal then moved into fruits and veggies. I would wait for other single grain cereals because of the risk of allergies. (Rice has an extrememly low allergy occurance).
    kwardrip

Answer by kwardrip at 12:14 AM on Oct. 11, 2008

• No solids until 6 months see here
    http://www.askdrsears.com/html/3/T032000.asp
    and thats six months from due date not birth, adjusted age is used until age 2 usually for everything when it comes to being ready, solids, walking talking etc. My nephew was a 5 week preemie.
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 1:28 AM on Oct. 11, 2008

• My pedi. strted them on cereal at 4 months. Not adjusted age, 4mos old and they were 8 wks preemie...They eat everything now, and have since 6months sereal, fruits, vegies..stage 2 everything (I suggest you get stage 2..because stage 1 is 2 oz, and stage 2 is 4oz..will save you a few bucks in the long run)..and thyre doing GREAT!!!
    jamstyle831

Answer by jamstyle831 at 6:38 PM on Oct. 11, 2008

• Are they breastfed? If so, I wouldn't give them solids for another few months at least - bm is much more easily digested than solids or formula and solids can be jarring to tiny systems. The AAP suggests bf for at least a year. If the baby is formula fed, I would still wait a little - and consider not giving cereal - cereal is not the most nutritious thing for a baby- you want to try real food such as fruit and veg - try this link for info - http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/readyforsolids.htm

GL!

Tara
    ashwinsmommy

Answer by ashwinsmommy at 6:48 PM on Oct. 11, 2008

• my doc told me that my son MUST start cereal/baby food at 4 months from his birthdate, not he due date. (my son was born 6 weeks early)reasoning being is that your baby loses the antibodies at 4 months, so babies need to start cereal and other baby food to make his own antibodies.
    rileysmama8808

Answer by rileysmama8808 at 11:29 PM on Oct. 14, 2008