Baby #4 on the way- all forms of BC failed (condoms, spermicide, the pill, and all three together) would you try an IUD or is that to risky?

*Not a personal question. Just asking what you'd do if you were in this situation.

Oldest child is 4

Erica_Smerica

Asked by Erica_Smerica at 2:01 PM on Aug. 30, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Have the other forms of bc failed because they weren't used properly? If that's the case, then the IUD would be a good option because you don't have to worry about goofing it up. If they failed b/c you're ultra fertile, then an IUD could be dangerous should you become pregnant. Either way, you go with an IUD, there are side effects including heaving bleedling and spotting for the first several months. Do all the research you can before going with any form of b.c. You might also want to consider the ring, the patch or the injection.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 2:16 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• I'd get my tubes tied, or have DH get a vasectomy.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 2:02 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• Get my tubes tied. No question about it.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 2:01 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• VASECTOMY! That's what I did. lol
    faithnseansmama

Answer by faithnseansmama at 2:05 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• I would not use the iud ever
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 2:10 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• Make him get snipped, & have them cauterize your tubes. Sounds like you are a fertile Myrtle & I wouldn't trust just one procedure!
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 2:03 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• I'd say 4 is enough and go ahead for the vasectomy/tubes tied. Seriously though, if birth control didn't work for me, I would NOT try the IUD. You obviously can't count on its effectiveness so you're basically only looking at the side effects. And the side effects of getting pregnant with an IUD in are very serious. If not caught early enough to be handled right, you could both (you and the baby) die.
    an-apple-a-day

Answer by an-apple-a-day at 2:04 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• Stop letting him finish inside you...
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 2:07 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• I got my tubes tied. I was there....IUD's for me aren't an option. Too many side effects and risks. 4 was plenty for me.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 2:10 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• I am amazed that you got pregnant while using all three birth control methods!!! that is one for the recod books. Maybe you guys can have a vasectomy amd the tubes tied...but some people still get pregnant after those procedures. Of course, after a vasectomy, you have to use birth control for at least 6 months and have a sperm sample taken, and if you don'tfollow thse steps, BINGO, another baby...and some women have ther tubes tied but still get pregnant. I can't wait to find out what happens. LOL.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 2:15 PM on Aug. 30, 2010