Do you let your kids watch the Harry Potter movies?

I have a 7yo dd & a 2yo ds. My son absolutely LOVES the Harry Potter movies.
Well, one day I was talking with a friend that works on a fundraiser committee with me about a meeting that I wasn't going to be able to make. I had no one to watch ds & didn't want to bring him since there was nothing for him to do. She asked if there were any movies that he would sit still through. I kind of laughed & said "Yeah, Harry Potter." I also told her that I didn't think that would be an appropriate movie to bring. Then she went on to tell me that I "needed to go before the Lord & pray about it" because those movies encourage the dark arts, witch craft & wizardry. I was really surprised she felt that way & I didn't really know what to say. I told her that in our house, it was all make believe & I didn't see a problem with it. She again pressured me to pray about it.
So.. what is your opinion and do you let your kids watch these movies?

Megs5384

Asked by Megs5384 at 2:02 PM on Aug. 30, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• They never have.. but I would let them. .
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 2:03 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• sure I do. There's some spooky parts in them and the story gets a bit deep for kids as story evolves. But sure, its just a harmless movie. People take it overboard imho
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 2:03 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• lol That's so stupid. I bet she thinks "Twilight" is the work of the devil too right? Even though the woman who wrote it was Mormon. lol People are just ridiculous sometimes.
    GinNTonic

Answer by GinNTonic at 2:04 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• My kids are 3 & 4 and have seen them all. We own them and love them. I have never found a reason not to let them see them. There is no nudity, no sex scene... Why shelter them?

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 2:04 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• Yes I do. My kids love the movies.Well my DD does anyway. Since the theme gets darker with each one I haven't let the boys watch past the third one yet.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 2:04 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• LOL....Pray about it? Dark Arts? She must go to the "Church of the Afraid and Paranoid". My kids and grandkids and I always see them. We have seen them in theaters and read most of the books. I love Harry and Ron and Hermione. They are just ficton and I seriously doubt anyone will turn into evil people. LOL. I tell ya, some people.....
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 2:07 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• she sounds like my grandma...

people will find the bad in almost anything if they want to- if he isn't scared by it then it's fine-let him watch it ;)
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 2:08 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• i think the later ones would be scarey for lil kids but i would let older kids watch them its just a movie people get real and stop sheltering ur kids they are going to see it at a friends house eventually
    nandy90

Answer by nandy90 at 2:08 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• I'm not religious but I think the books and movies are bad. My youngest son read them as a teenager and thought Harry treated others horribly and that the relationships set really bad examples. He doesn't think kids should watch the movies because of the way people treat each other and the messages in the movies. I've seen the movies and didn't like them. I wouldn't show them to a child.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 2:09 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• My twins are 3 and watch Harry Potter all the time. They walk around with straws and point at stuff and yell nonsense words. They know it is all pretend and therefore I don't see any problem with them watching it. They love Potter and recognize him in magazines. I have always made a point of telling my kids that movies are all pretend it's not really happening, they seem to understand.
    mrspierce06

Answer by mrspierce06 at 2:09 PM on Aug. 30, 2010