About freezing home made baby food.

Can I freeze everything I make? Bananas, avacado?? ect, ect? I'm going to freeze it in Ice cube trays then put them in baggies.

staciaw

Asked by staciaw at 2:07 PM on Aug. 30, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Yes you can but the homemade stuff is only good for a month max, some things even less. So make sure you put dates on the bags and throw away the bad stuff.
    an-apple-a-day

Answer by an-apple-a-day at 2:08 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• You can freeze it but I never thought it was worth the bother of "making baby food" and doing ice cube trays. I would mash a little banana for the baby and eat the rest. If I made sweet potato and didn't feel like eating it I might put some in the fridge and then freeze some. I usually eat it.

I take care of my grandson every other day. I set aside food for him from meals I eat. I have to hide it or my 22 yo son sees a nice portion of food in the fridge and eats it.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 2:14 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• I would avoid banana & avocado- the texture changes when they are frozen. Best fresh. Everything else can be kept in a deep freeze for 3 months. If you use a vacuum sealing product (like a food saver), then longer- in a regular freezer, it'll keep in ziplocs for about 6 weeks without getting freezer burn. :)
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 2:15 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• Btw- there are some incredibly tasty combos that my kids loved, PM me if you're interested. I always set aside one day a week (shopping day) to prepare easy things for them to be frozen- it made my life SO much easier, that way regardless of what we ate, there was always something available for baby!
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 2:58 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• oh yea, its great. check out wholesomebabyfood.com they have some good ideas and respices
    xotatiannaxo

Answer by xotatiannaxo at 3:12 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• yup, you can.
    With Banana's I found they didn't brown as much if I just peeled them a cut them into thirds and tossed them in a baggie like that..... and then I mashed them when they thawed.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 8:45 PM on Aug. 30, 2010