at what age would you dye your childs hair?

People down the road from me dyed their childrens hair they might be 4 or 5 they put chunky highlights in the girls hair and just one big chunk in the boys it looks really bad...lol

Shannon706

Asked by Shannon706 at 2:10 PM on Aug. 30, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• OMG.. Im not dying my girls' hair until they are 16 or so..if they want it. I would try my best to have them keep it natural though.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 2:11 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• My DD (10) wants highlights in her hair, some of the kids in her 5th grade class have them. I told her she has to wait until she's at least 13, then we'd discuss it further. I did let her out Sun-In in her hair this summer.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 2:11 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• I agree with Superrmommyy...I'd wait until they were about 16 or so.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 2:12 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• lol My daughter is 4, she asked me to put a foil in her hair so I did ONE foil. She thought it was awesome, but here's my beef. I'm licensed and know what chemicals can do. I know how to safely do it, I know of safe products that I purchase with a license. Do they?
    There is a difference between coloring the entire head and just doing a foil. The color doesn't touch the scalp in a foil. Without it's all over. Kids skin is too thin for color on it.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 2:14 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• If they wanted it, I would do it... I wouldn't do it because I wanted it to look that way, but if they wanted it done, I wouldn't see a reason not to do it...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 2:14 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• Chances are they just bleached it however those ages seem a little young. It won't hurt them, just possibly some scalp irritation, but my vote would be teens. :-)....
    LeJane

Answer by LeJane at 2:17 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• It depends. If my little guy asked for a funky colored highlight, Id do it. Mid you it wouldn't be perm, && no bleaching... Hes only five, His daddy doesn't agree, but I dont see the harm in a wash-out color.. =) like the baby dyes they have.
    lilmoosesmom

Answer by lilmoosesmom at 2:22 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• Probaby when they are a teen but I dont even want to think about that!! I love my kids hair!
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 2:25 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• I use henna in my hair and I have occasionally put highlights in my girls hair with it. It's natural and non-permanent so not a big deal.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 2:49 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• I didnt let dd19 dye her hair until she was 16 and she bugged me about it all the time. She has the prettiest hair that people would pay big bucks for with 5 different colored strands all throughout and then during the summer it got real blonde on top. She wanted to dye it dark brown. Im hoping that she didnt ruin her natural color......
    Esmrlda

Answer by Esmrlda at 3:06 PM on Aug. 30, 2010