my 4yr old started pre-k last week and didnt cry till friday and today should i still walk him to class or just drop him off ?

am i making things worse by not leaving him alone? he has never been apart from me and has anxiety of new things

mommyathome2416

Asked by mommyathome2416 at 2:17 PM on Aug. 30, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Have you asked him if something bad happened last week? It actually sounds like he had a bad experience and is having anxiety about it happening again.
    an-apple-a-day

Answer by an-apple-a-day at 2:19 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• I wish I could answer right now but I dont start taking my kiddo until tomorrow and I am wondering the same. I just wanted to give you a bump and a good luck =)
    flcouple7577

Answer by flcouple7577 at 2:20 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• That is strange that he started crying after the first few days. I would get with the teacher and find out if something did happen.
    staceycorolla

Answer by staceycorolla at 2:22 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• Thanks for that thought it never crossed my mind of that happening so soon but i will have to look in to that.
    mommyathome2416

Comment by mommyathome2416 (original poster) at 2:38 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• Sometimes the longer you hang around, the harder the child will cry. Have you asked the teacher how long he is upset after drop off? It is best to make the drop off short and sweet.
    Glowing4Caleb

Answer by Glowing4Caleb at 2:51 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• If he's still having problems maybe only walk him part of the way and wait while he goes the rest of the way. Make the distance longer every couple of days until he can walk all the way by himself. Is he making friends. Maybe there is another mother with the same problem and the kids could walk together.
    QuillingDiva

Answer by QuillingDiva at 3:09 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• My don did the same. thing. He went for a couple of weeks (only 2 times a week) and never cried. Nothing happened I think he just started to realize that he was going to have to keep going back! I found that the less I hung around, the better. Even if he cried, he invariably stopped as soon as I was out of sight. He'd glue himself to me if something prevented me from getting immediately out of the room (ie another mom talking to me). Teachers are use to this behavior and are good at distracting the kids by getting them quickly involved.
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 7:13 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• Honestly that sounds perfectly normal. My DD started daycare the same way. She was fine the first week, and started to cry at drop off. If I stayed she cried more, if I dropped her off, kissed her, and left, she calmed down pretty quickand had a great day. She starts pre school in 2 weeks, so we'll see how drop off goes.

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 8:00 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• he may just be tired after a whole week of new stuff... do what makes HIM comfy... why don't you ask him?
    asil

Answer by asil at 11:01 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Ask him if he wants you to walk in with him
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 3:20 PM on Sep. 13, 2010