i have a 2 year old what is the best way to deal with temper tamprems?

my 2 year old will throw things, hit, and scream when he doesn't get what he wants.
I think most of it is due to the fact that he isn't talking that much just yet. If he cant communicate what he wants he gets frusterated, i guess the real question is, how do i teach him to not get so frusterated if i don't understand him right away?
any ideas?

margie776

Asked by margie776 at 12:12 AM on Oct. 11, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• When my daughter was about that age, I talked to the DR. and he said to just let her throw her tatrums until she got tired and she would eventually quit. She would even hold her breath, and it scarred me, but he said even if she passed out she would start breathing on her own. It worked
    !!
    Freda01

Answer by Freda01 at 12:19 AM on Oct. 11, 2008

• I had this problem with my DS and he would get so violent and I was afraid he was going to hurt himself. I had to put him in a therapy thing called first steps to help him. We learned if you cannot understand what he is trying to tell you have him show you what he means. This helps alot I use it with my 2 y/o DD now when I cannot understand what she is saying.
    I will say to her "Can you show me?" She will take me by the hand and show me.
    GFXMommy

Answer by GFXMommy at 12:23 AM on Oct. 11, 2008

• Freda01 that works if they are just having fits to have fits if a child cannot communicate what they are wanting to doing that will only make it worse.
    GFXMommy

Answer by GFXMommy at 12:25 AM on Oct. 11, 2008

• What has worked the best for my son is time out. BE CONSISTENT!!! if you tell him you are going to put him in time out you have to follow thru! Once he realized he will not get what he wants by acting the way he is he should stop. It is hard but worth it in the end. Try to give him words when he is getting frustrated with his speach. Try to vocalise things for him such as " Are you angry because your friend would not share with you... That woudl make me mad too....." If you are really concerned you should see if you can find him some speach thearapy. This helped my friends 2 year old daughter. They were able to teach her all kinds of ways to help get her daughter talking.
    monkeybaby2006

Answer by monkeybaby2006 at 12:27 AM on Oct. 11, 2008

• When my daughter throws tantrums I say "You're frustrated because mommy won't let you eat that cookie and it makes you MAD!" When she sees that I understand her frustration she usually will calm down enough for me to distract her. There's a book called: The Happiest Toddler on the Block by Harvey Karp. It's a different approach but I swear the method works anywhere, anytime! Good luck!
    KaceesMom

Answer by KaceesMom at 4:19 AM on Oct. 11, 2008

• I agree with Kaceesmom. When you at least acknowledge what has the child upset without "giving in", they usually calm down. Both of my kids would throw tantrums, I would acknowledge it then turn away, but keep in mind it's a developmental behavior and controlling their own emotions is a skill that must be learned.

livewell4me

Answer by livewell4me at 5:35 AM on Oct. 11, 2008

• i am going through the same thing right now. if i tell him not to do something he tries to hit me or not listen at all. i just started putting him in his room when he does it and i tell him that i don't hit him he shouldn't hit me. also i need to look it to play groups or something to get him more socialized
    dawninmanch

Answer by dawninmanch at 6:39 AM on Oct. 11, 2008

• Ignore them as much as possible. Don't let them have their way or give in to what ever started the tantrum.
    amydh

Answer by amydh at 5:53 PM on Oct. 11, 2008