Whats the difference between Jesus and Anakin Skywalker's birth?

Skywalker didn't have a father, his mother claimed he was just "there" one day. The Jedi claimed he was made by The Force. Hogwash and fairy tales of course, its just a story.

So whats different between that and Mary's tale about being a virgin and Jesus just showing up out of no where. Its basically the same "hogwash" tale but so many people today worship her.

Keeping in mind unwed girls would get stoned for having sex, so I could see her lying to save her own skin. What I don't get is why the villagers believed it so readily. Yet we are so ready to laugh at the Star Wars story even tho its basically the same fanastical tale. You can't give birth to a baby and be a virgin. Simple as that.

Zoeyis

Asked by Zoeyis at 2:20 PM on Aug. 30, 2010 in Religious Debate

• Well for me, nothing. Except ones made up for a movie and the other is made up for some stupid reason. Do I believe the virgin mary tale, HELL NO, but I dont want to bash on anyone that does, thats your beliefs:)
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 2:23 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• Difference... Jesus was real.. Anakin was not.

Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 3:11 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• Shaneagle777... WRONG. Jesus is simply a character in an ancient screenplay."

You don't know this for a FACT, hate to break it to ya.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 4:07 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• To believe in the miraculous birth of Jesus you must believe and have faith in God. God made Adam from the earth which is far more miraculous than the birth of Jesus. With Jesus at least half the work is already done in that there is already a mother. If you believe in an omnipotent god then the idea that he could create a baby without a father is not "hogwash" as you put it. The only real difference in Jesus to Skywalker is that Jesus (whether you belive him to be god, a prophet, or none of the above) was a real person while skywalker is a fictional character. Many great literary works are heavily influenced by religion. The cronicles of Narnia also paralels the Christian mythos as do a great many other classics.
    -Cassandra-

Answer by -Cassandra- at 5:27 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• It's a matter of faith, but thanks for making fun of our most deeply held beliefs...again! Also, I am Catholic and I don't know anyone who worships Mary. We admire her and want to learn from her example.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 5:43 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• but thanks for making fun of our most deeply held beliefs...again! --

exactly...but that's allowed, isn't it? a kind of gang-rape on xtians' beliefs?? i can't remember who pm-ed me several weeks ago and said this was going on..but i guess they were right. and here i thought it was xtians shoving our beliefs down others' throats..yeah.

simple as that.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 6:59 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• who's laughing at star wars? who??????
    mellypoo

Answer by mellypoo at 2:32 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• I don't think it matters whether Mary was a virgin or not, whether Jesus was "Son of God" or not. But that could just be because my faith doesn't require him to be so (which is probably because I don't accept the beliefs of the Atonement, and the like).

All that aside, its enough for me that his message of peace and love and humility is one that holds merit, regardless of whether any of the other things believed about him are true or not. I personally don't believe he was literal Son of God (or God Himself), but instead holds the same relationship to God as we - as we are all children of God, sons and daughters of He Who made us. So whether his conception was immaculate or the result of intercourse, whether his mother was a virgin or not doesn't matter in terms of my belief that what he had to say is something worth listening to. :)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 3:25 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• Why are you so threatened by Christianity that you have to stoop so low? Is there nothing constructive in your belief system that you can share so you have to resort to insulting someone elses in order to feel good about what you believe in? This is moronic!
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 4:50 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• I think the 'auspicious birth' is common in a lot of religious traditions... I tend to think that it's a mythological shorthand to say 'Look at how special this guy is- he was set apart even before birth!' As a Buddhist, there are mythic beliefs associated with the Buddha's birth as well. I tend not to be a literalist and don't necessarily think that these are literal truth... I think they are some sort of archtype that human beings respond to. As for Anakin, I think that modern-day fiction often references Biblical and other sources to prove a point. And obviously people still respond to these archtypes, or else George Lucas would not have gotten rich by incorporating these ideas into something called 'Star Wars!'
    And shush about Anakin not being real- do you want to break my 8 year old's heart? LOL!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 7:37 PM on Aug. 30, 2010