Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

getting the shaft from school system, how do i request a new IEP or get her the help she is entitled to

tacher says i need to contact director of sp. ed
director of sp ed says i have to contact teacher
now they are not answering phone calls

i am going to roll those people over to get help for my daughter

also special ed director says...autism report does NOT matter to school
her teacher says it does

anyone know any info on how to get school system to give my daughter her education, i know she has rights, would like to know maybe what form to fill out-name of?

just spoke to the principal and gave her an ear full-great way to start the school year!

state of wisconsin-do i just go to the top dogs in the capital

Answer Question

Asked by fiatpax at 2:24 PM on Aug. 30, 2010 in

Level 46 (221,600 Credits)
Answers (12)
  • You need someone to be on your side to help you walk through it and go to meetings with you. Schools will do whatever they can to not do an IEP because it comes out of thier budget. Cheap a-holes.I had this problem for the past 2 years with my son. We moved, he went to a new school and things are better now. But what I did HERE ( I live in Ohio) was to contact Children and Family Services in our area. I don't know why I called them..I just didnt' know where else to start, so I thought that they may be in the least a good referral for resources on the matter. It ended up that they were just who I needed to call. I was assigned 2 caseworkers. And they would go to meetings with me and they pushed for things to get done. It was easier because they know the system, they know how everythign works, and the school couldnt pull the wool over my eyes.We really got a LOT of help from them.Hope this helps! Good Luck!

    Answer by kimberlyinberea at 2:30 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

  • teachers, principal, then school district. Be a squeaky wheel! Its for your child's best interest.

    Answer by Zoeyis at 2:30 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

  • Just take her to school, and have her show up, they can't deny a child her schooling, for any reason, she is a child and it's unconstitutional not to mention it's against the law to not educate a child of school age, unless they deem a legitimate reason, and politics is not a reason, so do as the other (kimberlyinberea) said, and get your own meeting @ the roundtable, using the CPS workers, and have an open case coming into the school with her, that sounds awesome what have you got to lose.

    Answer by coffeeyum at 2:38 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

  • By the way it's also ok to homeschool, but she'll miss that integration (?) just if that's what you want of course.
    If they are delaying her so to speak, it isn't hurting but it may be better to nip it in the bud, and get ahead of them, ----politics.........!! grrrr

    Answer by coffeeyum at 2:45 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

  • Keep making noise - send a letter to the principal requesting that an IEP be scheduled - they are bound by law to schedule the same. If they don't provide her a "free, public eduation" they could lose their federal funding (and believe me, they don't want that to happen).

    There might also be a Disability Rights Advocacy group funded by the State of Wisconsin or the Feds that could provide free advocacy for you and your child.

    Answer by tasches at 3:52 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

  • Go to the school district. There should be a special education office.

    Answer by gdiamante at 5:22 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

  • Contact the county that your daughter's school district is in. If you are not getting anywhere there, contact the state you live in. But you county school district is mandated to assist you and if the school is not providing the help she needs that they have agreed to in your IEP something can be done about it. On the other side, if your IEP does not state the help that you think she needs and you signed that IEP than I don't think you can demand or request another IEP for a year. Unless something dramatic has happened.

    Answer by marchar2002 at 9:04 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

  • I say go to the school board and do not stop until you get the answers you are looking for. It is crazy they are not being more helpful! Actually your school system should GET money for the kids that are in the IEP classes. I know our school bent over backwards to help my son, he could have had someone come into his classes that he was mainstreamed in to help with any reading or writing issues he may have. He was able to have extra time on tests if he needed them. I can't believe they are being so awful with you. I live in another state of course but I cannot believe that things can be so different. Good luck! I hope it works for you!

    Answer by Peajewel at 9:05 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

  • The Autism Report should be a valid part of the schools IEP and considerations for your daughter's education. Push the report with the school.

    Answer by marchar2002 at 9:08 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

  • I am from Wisconsin, where do you live? If you are in the Kenosha Unified School District, I can tell you what to do. Otherwise, talk to the principal and set up a meeting with the teacher, special ed staff, etc. TELL them that if they are not going to follow a FEDERALLY mandated piece of your childs education, you will contact the Wisconsin Department of Instruction and report them for not following an IEP. They will get in a LOT of trouble. I had to deal with that with my son, so I know what to do.

    Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:27 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.