What's the big deal?

I just don't understand what the big deal is if someone else gets your kid's pictures? I mean, it's not like they can undress them with a picture. They can't find out their identity with a picture. They can't hurt them with a picture.
You get pictures of other people's kids all of the time! In ads, picture frames, online. Heck, when we're somewhere and I'm taking pictures of my own kids a lot of times there are other kids in it too. Some of them I don't even know.
So what's the big deal?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:24 PM on Aug. 30, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• Well anyone can do anything with a photo and a computer. Think about that.
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 2:27 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• You've obviously never had your kids' photos stolen - I have, by a family member, and it is not cool.
    4time-mom

Answer by 4time-mom at 2:29 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• Seriously? Okay, ads and picture frames are one thing - those are models. Their parents are obviously comfortable with their kids and splashing their photo everywhere. As for the rest, sometimes another kid ends up in a photo you take at a park, party, whatever. It can't always be avoided. But to go around taking pictures of other children, children you have no connection with, is what people usually have a problem with. That screams inappropriate. Parents have the right to say who gets pictures of their kids. Like it or not.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:36 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• I don't give permission for my son's picture to be taken or given out due to privacy. I adopted my son and I don't want his likeness on facebook or any othe site where his family of orgin can have free range. I want to control who sees his image. I also do not want him to model or have his image used in advetisements. We have been asked, quite strongly, and the answer will remain no. Many people may not see privacy as a big deal in an age of iPhones, texting, facebook, google, ect.....but I am private. I preserve my child's privacy until he can legally give permission to give away some of his. Then it will be his choice. Until then it is up to me to protect it. Not to mention other people making money off his likeness when no money was given to my child....not cool. If you model you get paid. Using images of non contracted kids not cool.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 2:47 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• You might not be able to harm the child with the picture, but pedophiles usually collect photographs of children for personal use. Whether to memorize the face, so they can recognize them later, or to masturbate to. However, that's not the reason that photo places don't allow you to pick up other people's photographs. It's for the fact that they don't want to be held liable for handing photographs to someone and then the owner come back complaining later. If I went and picked up Jane Doe's pictures, even though I didn't know Jane Doe, Jane Doe would throw a fit about her pictures to the photo place. That's why they say only YOU can pick them up, because they don't want to be liable for stolen merchendise or someone taking it upon themselves to do it for you.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 3:02 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• i have no idea!!!LOL
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 6:55 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• Do you have children of your own? If so, this question simply amazes me.
    genuinelyblessd

Answer by genuinelyblessd at 3:33 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• For me, it has more to do with someone specifically obsessing over my child. Predetors will try to get anyone that is willing, but most of them have a preference. If my kid's picture is posted, that person might focus on my kid even more than they would have. It may even turn into trying to find my kid at school (has the picture...what's stopping them?). I have a vivid imagination and this sparks too many disturbing scenarios.
    NaturalMomma219

Answer by NaturalMomma219 at 11:10 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• I don't care wht anyone does with a PICTURE of my daughter. That's their freedom. Touch her in real life though, and they might get my Beretta.
    soflashelley

Answer by soflashelley at 4:17 PM on Sep. 8, 2010