Is there a version of hearing loss...

Is there a version of hearing loss where the child can hear loud sounds AND quiet sounds but not in between? I have to either whisper or yell and my son will hear me. But if I talk in a normal voice he does not. What's the deal?
And it's even when he REALLY wants to know the answer AND if he asks me something and I say yes he still says "What? I can't hear you?"

JasonsMom2007

Asked by JasonsMom2007 at 2:49 PM on Aug. 30, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I don't know but I'd take him to have his hearing checked.
    QuillingDiva

Answer by QuillingDiva at 3:06 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• You can take him and get his hearing checked. But there is a technique that I learned while teaching to get a large group of kids attention that requires basically nothing from the teacher.....if a teacher talks in a very low tone of voice to a class...it will very quickly get quieter and become silent.

If they think you are saying something and they WANT to know what you are saying. They will stop so they can hear you. Your son may be doing this. Technique works every time with a group of kids :)

mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 3:12 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• He does this when he wants to know what I'm saying. Like he'll ask me if he can have fruit salad (his favorite food in the whole world) and I'll say yes and he'll still say "what? I can't hear you!" even in a completely silent room. If I whisper yes he can hear me. If I yell yes he can hear me but not if I say it in a normal voice.
    JasonsMom2007

Comment by JasonsMom2007 (original poster) at 3:18 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• One characteristic of hearing loss (or deafness, when it started before birth) is being startled by sudden loud noises (not hearing them build) and being able to hear some tones, but not all...

The most common functional hearing loss is around 700 cycles, which is where consonances sound --so people with this loss perceive normal speaking as unintelligible mumbling. They can hear tone and volume, but not the distinctions of words.

'Yes' is a very whispery word... so whispering it probably accentuates, and lowers the tone, the sounds enough for him to understand it.

If he can't hear what you're saying in a normal voice when facing away from you, he needs his hearing tested. Try a phrase with a lot of t's, k's and p's and b's... like 'the kitten in the tea kettle' or 'please pick the peas and beans'
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 4:56 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• Thank you I will try that.
    JasonsMom2007

Comment by JasonsMom2007 (original poster) at 5:01 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• One more question, do I just take him to his doctor if he needs his hearing checked?
    JasonsMom2007

Comment by JasonsMom2007 (original poster) at 5:12 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• I tried both phrases. He said "I don't know" the first time. The second time he was able to pick out the word beans in the first phrase and tea in the second. The third time I said it he picked out "peas and beans" and "kitten tea kettle"
    It took four times before he figured out the entire phrase.
    JasonsMom2007

Comment by JasonsMom2007 (original poster) at 5:21 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• Start with your doctor and have him/her recommend someone for testing.
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 7:10 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• i believe so... if not my child has the same issue yours does!
    asil

Answer by asil at 11:01 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Ask your dr for testing
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 3:19 PM on Sep. 13, 2010