Been watching Wife Swap a lot lately, what is up with women being servants to their husbands and kids?

So i'm 36 weeks prego and i have a herniated disc in my back that happened before i got prego, now im usually layying down watching tv because i just hurt soo bad..anyways i've been watching Wife Swap a lot lately and I've noticed a lot of women whose households are what i think of as old fashioned. I mean whether the women have jobs or not, I see that a lot of them still do ALL the cooking, cleaning, child rearing, etc. while the husbands just sit back and do nothing when they get home from work. It's all the wife's job to keep the house running, sometimes even to the point of bringing her hubby food and drink at his beck and call...I think this is soo ridiculous and I could never ever stand to be in a marriage like this, even though I'm not married, I think I would cry for a divorce right quick if this is what my hubby expected. What do u ladies think?

Mers1803

Asked by Mers1803 at 12:38 AM on Oct. 11, 2008 in Relationships

• thats a good question, my SO doesnt do any house chores not even take out the garbage! and I always have to pick up and clean up after him and my son.
    tatalalicious

Answer by tatalalicious at 12:42 AM on Oct. 11, 2008

• i love to do things for my Dh, like make his plate at dinner.. get him a drink., lay his clothes out for him, but he doesn'e expect it of me, It's just me being sweet and,and showing him that i appreciate him. However, it is a rule in my house that i WILL NOT clean up after him!!!
    VictinaG

Answer by VictinaG at 12:48 AM on Oct. 11, 2008

• I agree with the original post. Those women are nuts!!! I think that show does the extreme of each end though to make good tv. Which it does. It's going to be funny though in another 20 years to see what everyone is saying than. The husbands will probably be staying home and doing everything!!! Wouldn't that be a sight!
    Kenzies_momma

Answer by Kenzies_momma at 12:59 AM on Oct. 11, 2008

• my husband couldn't handle it.. though he says he could!
    VictinaG

Answer by VictinaG at 1:01 AM on Oct. 11, 2008

• Not trying to be mean, but no wonder your not married. My husband works very damn hard for his kids and I. I have dinner ready, serve him he also helps me pick up the plates when we are done... I don't mind doing things for my husband because I love him.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:02 AM on Oct. 11, 2008

• well I was raised believing that if you don't work ( bring in money) you have to have your home clean dinner made and clean clothes .....I don't work I used to have dinner ready for my husband and the house would be cleaned but after 20 years of marriage he's lucky if he gets dinner, the house is still cleaned....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:05 AM on Oct. 11, 2008

• I think people need to decide what is right for them in their relationship/marriage. Each person needs to feel like they are being treated fairly and their needs are met. There is nothing wrong with asking for help whether you are working or not. I work F/T too and I constantly have to ask my husband to do things or he simply wouldn't do anything. It is about communication.
    cdgoldilocks

Answer by cdgoldilocks at 1:35 AM on Oct. 11, 2008

• I am addicted to Wife Swap, some of these women go to the extreme. I just keep in mind everyone lives their lives differently. What makes one happy may make the other miserable. 

mommiedear

Answer by mommiedear at 1:42 AM on Oct. 11, 2008

• The ladies probably just got sick of trying to get the guy to do anything and figure it's easier to get it done and do everything themselves than try to get him to do it, or wait 3 weeks for anything to happen.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:49 AM on Oct. 11, 2008

• Some of those women are a bit extreme in different areas of how they chose to live their lives, right? Some are very devoted wives, some are overbearing moms, some are divas, some are just plain psycho. I see nothing wrong with being a submissive wife. I must be old fashioned like that. My DH works so hard to support us. Why shouldn't he have someone at home taking care of him. It isn't like I pick out his clothing, but I do wash it and I put it away. It is part of my job description. And he loves me and appreciates everything I do. You gotta do what works for the marriage. Part of becoming a wife, though, is getting over yourself and realizing that marriage isn't about how happy you are, it is about the couple not the individual.
    PROGENITOR

Answer by PROGENITOR at 1:50 AM on Oct. 11, 2008