What is Tonic when referred to in a drink? My husband can't answer the question and he used to be a party boy! LOL

anikahaynes1

Asked by anikahaynes1 at 2:51 PM on Aug. 30, 2010 in Food & Drink

• I make my husband and my mom gin and tonics all the time. They love it. I hate gin. And oddly, I like the flavor of tonic water. It's bitter from the quinine, but for some reason, I can drink a bunch of it.
    kittyhasclaws

Answer by kittyhasclaws at 2:59 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• It's a carbonated water with quinine in it.
    kittyhasclaws

Answer by kittyhasclaws at 2:53 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• It tastes nasty.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 2:54 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• I think its kinda like water.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 2:52 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• LOL I think that is how some people call soda. My friend is always saying tonic this tonic that and is just playing pepsy lol
    Alisim

Answer by Alisim at 2:53 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• Tonic is like kittyhasclaws said, carbonated water with quinine. If you go to the grocery store in the soda/pop aisle, you will see TONIC WATER. When a drink calls for Tonic like say Gin and Tonic, it is referring to Tonic water.
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 2:58 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• Yeah I was figuring it was probaly like soda, ive never tried it, this girl at my friends bacholorette party kept ordering gin and tonicand i was just like um ewww....but wanted to know what tonic is. lol
    anikahaynes1

Comment by anikahaynes1 (original poster) at 2:57 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• My husband can't stand it, but I find gin & tonic really refreshing and wonderful. The worst thing about tonic is that it has the same amount of calories as soda, but it doesn't taste sweet- I suppose there's sugar in it to balance out the bitter taste.

We were discussing yesterday how with all this quinine, I'm safe from malaria. So that's a benefit :-)
    Tracys2

Answer by Tracys2 at 3:11 PM on Aug. 30, 2010