Bottles, Binkies & Babies...

How long did your LO keep their binky and/or bottle? My 2 DS's didn't use binkies. When DS1 turned one, we gave him a sippy cup for the first time and never took the bottle again. DS2 was a little trickier, but was weaned a little older than 1. DD is about to turn one and DH and I are at odds. (DS's were brought into the marriage and DS is his first...his little princess.) He gives her the binky throughout the day as well as naps/bedtime. He'd rather her have the bottle than a sippy cup. Just wanted a little feedback to see what others thought. Thanks in advance!

rebekah79

Asked by rebekah79 at 2:52 PM on Aug. 30, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• Breastfed. Why do people make up names for pacifiers?

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 2:53 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• At 1 both bottles and binkies should be tossed.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 2:54 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• Gailll, people make up names for pacifiers because its cute and fun, something you wouldn't understand after reading a few of your posts. Lighten up.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:54 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• Gailll...way to answer the question!
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 2:55 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• with our first, we didn't wean the binky til she was close to 3, her teeth and speech are FINE, she talks great and the dentist always gives usgood reviewson her teet. She was't off the bottle until round 18 months, it was just he night bottle, she just stopped drinkingit one night so we figured she was ready..

our youngest s 17 months, still has a binky an the ocassional bottle, we will probably do the same for our youngest as we did for our oldest. in fact my oldest stil sleeps with binky, lol, just attached to a binky clip and she just holds it at night. she is 4 btw, so I dont know, im not much help but i think its fin to let them have these thigs until they are ready to give them up.
    anikahaynes1

Answer by anikahaynes1 at 2:55 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• my 1st weened herself off the binky at 8 months. she just wouldnt take it anymore. she was off the bottle on her 1st bday. My 2nd is ore attached. She loves her binky and loved her bottle. She just turned 1 thursday and has been on a sippy since, but wont give up her binky. One thing at a time...
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 2:56 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• I was wondering if people made up names for pacifiers based on what part of the country they lived in like how some places say soda and others pop. Or is there a stigma to pacifiers so using another name makes them seem not so bad. Or are there differences in pacifiers. Maybe it's like blankets and people call them blankies and loveys and it's what they say to their children.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 3:06 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• I think it's no different than giving your child a nickname or calling body parts something other than what they are. I don't think it has to do with a culture.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 3:09 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• We didn't use pacifiers. My oldest had his bottle till he was 2.5 years old. My youngest had his bottle till he was 16 months old. They both decided when they were done.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 4:53 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• bottle..a looooong time...til she was about 2.5...but from 1yr on, she only ever had it at nighttime..thats it!!! im soooo against sippy cups..so yaa..but, i know...she had a bottle waaaaaaay to long...
    soother she had from 4monhs til 8 months..but she never even used it...
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 6:54 PM on Aug. 30, 2010