is there a way of training a dog to wake you up during the night to go to the bathroom?

My dog is housebroken throughout the day when we are home and out. But during the night she tends to go to the bathroom. Our last dog would come to my side of the bed and whine and paw me till I got up- no training, she just did it.
The dog we have now won't try and wake me or even bark at the door.

cuteasabutton78

Asked by cuteasabutton78 at 3:06 PM on Aug. 30, 2010 in Pets

• Crate training will help her learn to hold her bladder overnight or alert you.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 3:12 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• Crate-training is definately the way to go.
    Zoe_Faith

Answer by Zoe_Faith at 4:42 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• Maybe, try to get up sometime during the night & take them out- hopefully, after a few nights they will catch on- My dog sleeps with me & she comes up to my face if she needs to go- but, usually she sleeps through the night-
    daisyb

Answer by daisyb at 9:39 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• I have 4 dogs, 2 of them will get me up when they need to go potty and always have, I didn't train them to do it. The other 2 just will not (I did not have them when they were pups) I have taught them to at least go on the bathroom floor because it's way easier to clean up than on the carpet. One of them is 12 years old and has hip dysplacia and cannot always get outside fast enough. I don't get upset about it unless they are doing it on purpose to be lazy. I also make them go out and go potty right before we go to bed, which is often late.
    SophiaofLight

Answer by SophiaofLight at 2:27 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• youc an try crate training or you can just set and alarm to wake up and you can take them and eventully they will know that you take them out so they will mostlikely wakeup and wake you up to take them best of lucks and hopefully everything works out
    Alejandra10

Answer by Alejandra10 at 11:42 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• I have four dogs. Three of them will wake me up at night if they have to go. Since they do this they are allowed to sleep with us. The fourth dog does not wake us up and will just go on the floor. She sleeps in her crate now. She will not go to the bothroom in her crate, so she either does not go at night or will wake up and paw at the crate....then I let her out. Ifr I were you I would go back to crate training. It works for us and I am no longer cleaning puddles every morning.
    Carajust

Answer by Carajust at 12:41 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Have you had her checked at the vets? some dogs have bladder problems. We put in a doggie door that leads into a fenced area so that our dog can go out.
    QuillingDiva

Answer by QuillingDiva at 12:08 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• if you give your dog a cookie ever time they go ,also pick up their pop and put it out side on the grass when they smell it they know that is where the dog has to go before bed time take them out
    dutchcanadain

Answer by dutchcanadain at 1:19 AM on Sep. 8, 2010